Is film right for me?

photography is mostly fixed costs you can get away with a few hundred dollars every few years. That's way cheaper than golf!

I've never known anyone who is interested in photography be able to only spend a few hundred dollars every few years. And I don't anyone who is active on this forum actually stays under a few hundred dollars every few years ether.

That's only because you never knew anyone into photography who only had a few hundred dollars every few years. ;-)

With the advent of digital, photography may have become just about the only hobby where you can literally spend $400 once (assuming you already have a computer), and not have to spend another penny for 5 years. No other pursuit, not even watercolors, has that potential. Every other hobby I can think of has either insane gear requirements as you progress in expertise, or some kind of consumable supply cost.

Get ANY $400 DSLR, and you have a tool that you can use to create amazing images for years to come. Are there going to be limits in what you can create that could be overcome with more gear? Of course. But there is no shortage of breathtaking work you can do within the limits your equipment permits.

And you can hilljack a lot of equipment from crap you can beg borrow (but not steal) from around you. Need a "reflector"? White spray paint and a refrigerator box. Or aluminum foil. Need a gobo? Black spraypaint and a refrigerator box. Need a scrim? white sheets. Need a light? grab a table lamp, your cardboard, and some masking tape. But please don't burn the house down. But seriously, you don't need much money to create amazing art today.

Don't believe me? Go look at the Flickr streams of what people are creating with the most basic SLR/MILC cameras available today.

If you ever get into film, worst thing you can do is cheap processing. Send the film to a real lab like Richard Photo Lab.

but the thing is you'd blow your budget after just 8 rolls or so.

While that may be true eventually.. he can get ANY DSLR w/ the kit lens, once $5 memory card (SD, CF maybe $20) and shoot SOC jpg for an entire year without spending another penny.

That's about the equivalent of how I learned... buy a roll of Portra or TMAX, run it through the camera, send it in and get it back, and learn from the results.

When I got my first real digital (D1), my learning pace accelerated substantially. The shorter feedback cycle had me finding problems, fixing them in the same session, rather than 2 weeks later when I got my film back (or found the energy to go in the darkroom myself).

While film may be cheaper than a $2000 slr kit... over the course of even one year, a $400 dslr or u43 or bridge camera can be cheaper than a $150 film camera.

How do you make out he never spends another penny unless he charges batteries next door and has a computer good enough to process files

It's possible to charge batteries and process files at the local library. Not ideal, but possible.

I suppose you'd say the food for the calories he'd burn walking to library is a photography expense too?

It's possible to charge batteries and process files at the local library. Not ideal, but possible.

I suppose you'd say the food for the calories he'd burn walking to library is a photography expense too?

No, it sounded like you were trying to make out digital is free

holy crap people...
film is "right" for anyone that wants to try shooting film. thats all that really matters.
film is cheap to get into. yea, you have to buy film and get it developed. and yea, digital gives you instant results and feedback.
but what do you WANT to do?
maybe someone has enough budget to buy a roll of film or two every paycheck. maybe every other paycheck. who cares which is cheaper or by how much. do you WANT to shoot film? if yes, then go shoot some film and enjoy it.

holy crap people...
film is "right" for anyone that wants to try shooting film. thats all that really matters.
film is cheap to get into. yea, you have to buy film and get it developed. and yea, digital gives you instant results and feedback.
maybe someone has enough budget to buy a roll of film or two every paycheck. maybe every other paycheck. who cares which is cheaper or by how much. do you WANT to shoot film? if yes, then go shoot some film and enjoy it.

And film has soul, ive got some very expensive Canon lenses but have not used them for months only shot film for 4 months, i shot both before

holy crap people...

I agree with that, btw.

My point is only that if someone really wants to "learn photography" and money is tight, digital can be cheaper and offer a faster a learning curve. That's all.

If the OP returns to this thread, send me a PM. I still have the Konica TC-X, 50/1.8 lens, and a Zoom boxed up. The price cannot be beaten, free.

$1591629-thread_crazy_super.jpg

Never did wet plate and I'm all out of Speed Graphics. Gave two away, traded one with a Xenotar off.

And film has soul, ive got some very expensive Canon lenses but have not used them for months
Full frame lenses ? If so maybe time to get EOS 1n to ??? :scratch:

Full frame lenses ? If so maybe time to get EOS 1n to ??? :scratch:

yes 300f2.8L, 200f2.8L, 50f1.4, 70-200f4, 24-70f2.8L
Ive got an EOS5,but i prefer range finders and TLR's and with my M4 im using mostly 28mm

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back