Is HDR a trendy gimmick? Do you care?

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a sucker for trendy stuff. Often, it seems cool now, but looks embarrassingly dated later.

Is HDR the latest fad, or a legit think that will stick around?

Do you use it regardless of whether it's trendy or not?

Just wonderin.

I'm a sucker for trendy stuff. Often, it seems cool now, but looks embarrassingly dated later.

Just wonderin.

I think HDR as a concept and as a tool is here to stay. I think massively oversaturated, cartoonish renditions that are often made using HDR are a fad. Just my 2 cents worth of course.

BTW, I don't do tons of HDR, but it's quite fun in certain contexts.

I guess like many things, the less 'obvious' it is, the safer you probably will be.

b2feF.png

HDR is a tool that has a place when used correctly. Like any tool it can be used and it can be abused. Personal opinion usually determines whether it's used or abused in each case.
My personal thought is if it looks like a plastic model - it's abused!

Just wonderin.

I think HDR as a concept and as a tool is here to stay. I think massively oversaturated, cartoonish renditions that are often made using HDR are a fad. Just my 2 cents worth of course.

My feelings the same.

Given that photographers have been dealing with the limitations of the technology of the craft since, oh, the 1850s, and have constantly created various methods to deal with excessive dynamic range, no..... I would not call it a trend.

Unless your definition of a trend means it lasts for centuries.

Last edited:
Hey, I loved that article about the 10 Expert Photo tips!!! I think I am gonna try some of those expert techniques, to try to help my photo skillz become more skillz-y! Some of those ideas sound awesome, like :
Fake Lens Flare
Vintage iPhone Apps
Naff Borders and Garish Watermarks
Heavy Vignetting

I particularly like the idea of enhancing my photography through the expert use of Naff Borders and Garish Watermarks! That just sounds,like, totally,totally super-awesome!

Remember when selective colorizing was just oh-so-cool?

I think every photographer should try SC at least once.

Like HDR.

And broccoli.

How are you going to know for sure until you've tried it?

I like cartoons and animation in general - heck I'm always rather sad that animation took a huge nosedive in the west and even now is mostly seen as a "childish" thing.

As for HDR - eh anything and everything is a FAD at some point or another. A FAD is just when something gets popularized and that happens all the time. They come and go - nostalgia preserves some in years to come and othertimes they might fall totally out of popularity for generations. I would say learn to do something; learn to do it in different ways - gain a breadth of knowledge and the element of choice it brings and just do your thing. Do what you like doing = whilst at the same time taking opportunities to experiment along the way.

HDR is not a problem in the least.

Bad photography is.

It's when people try to save poorly planned images, don't want to be bothered by exposure (yes, you still need to meter, people!) is a problem.

HDR is just a tool. Like any other tool, it can be used well. Nobody blames Photoshop for bad composites. Nobody blames Canon for bad photographs.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back