is holga the best way into med format?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by ajmall, Dec 18, 2005.

1. ajmall

ajmall TPF Noob!

i've heard many talk about holgas and i know about all the light leaks and cheap cheap quality but is it really a good way into medium format? by that i mean, does using a holga teach you the differences between 35mm and format and generally all the basics to get you going?

2. 303villain

303villain TPF Noob!

ive only ever fooled around with one, but i would say the best way to get into medium format would be to find a used Twin lens. the waist level viewfinder will REALLY teach you alot about composition and shooting. it definately takes some getting used to having a square negative as opposed to a rectangle. i have caught myself a few times almost cutting things out, or including things that i didnt want in a photo.
    my only difficulty is getting used to focusing with the waistlevel. my yashica has a pop up magnifier that really helps though. good luck! i really really love medium format! at first i thought it was a PITA to roll onto a reel, now i am the other way, i have a hard time with 35mm and 120 comes second nature. good luck!

3. santino

santino TPF Noob!

depends on what format you're going to shoot. I'd get a folder camera, they are really cheap and can produce great results.

4. ajmall

ajmall TPF Noob!

i've just had a google on TLR cameras but can't find much specific info. seems to be just places to buy. do you know any sites that holds good info of the basics?

5. santino

santino TPF Noob!

just type the word "yashicamat" that is probably the best TLR you can get for low money. if you would like to get something better type "rolleiflex" or "rolleicord"

6. guajero

guajero TPF Noob!

My first medium format camera was a Lubitel from freestyle camera. It cost me $39.99 and took horriblely fabulious pictures. I took it everywhere and when I broke it, it wasn't a big deal. I would say get something crappy, learn to make amazing images with it and then trade up to something better.

Gordon
    ps. Holgas are fun.

7. nealjpage

nealjpage multi format master in a film geek package

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I bought a Yashica MAT LM off eBay for $40. Takes great pictures but the light meter leaves a bit to be desired. My $.02.

8. Dave_D

Dave_D TPF Noob!

I would stay away from the "ultra cheap" cameras and go with something you can add on to. Most prodomenant brands would be Hasselblad, Mamiya and Bronica. They are more expensive than previous replies have mentioned, but the cost of these cameras on the used market can be as little as 10 cents on the dollar of what they originally cost. If you decide you like medium format you have a wide range of accesories with these other brands that are abundant on places like ebay to expand you outfit with. I shoot with a Mamiya RB 67 fully manual and a Bronica ETR with a metered view finder. The Bronica is a 6x4.5 cm negative size and the camera handles very similar to a 35mm. Once I started with medium format, I never stopped.

9. ajmall

ajmall TPF Noob!

thanks for the advice dave. my dilemma at the moment is spending a few quid on a medium format or saving those few quid for a D200!?

10. Dave_D

Dave_D TPF Noob!

The reason I mentioned the ones I did is because they are very easy to build on. However, since you mentioned the D200, I understand your dilema and feel for you on this one. I would like to get a D100 myself as a proofing camera for large format setups. Good Luck!

11. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, the meters suck. You have to go with just your eye or get a hand-held with those.

I think a TLR is a great way to get into it. With the Holgas and rangfinders, there isn't much of a difference compared to many 35mm cameras. With a TLR, it's a very different way of doing things.