Is image stabilisation important??

dhawald3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am considering to buy the fujifilm finepix s9600
this camera lacks image stabilisation.

I was comparing it to the conon S5 IS with image stabilisation.

The better features of FUJI compared to CANON model are

1: wider lens at 28-30mm compared to 36-432 of canon
2: manual zoom and focus rings on lens just like in SLR
3: much lower noise in images
4: higher resolution 9MP compared to 8MP of canon

The only advantage the canon S5 IS has is the image stabilisation.

I am not bothered about longer zoom range of canon as the 300mm of fuji is quite sufficient.

so is image stabilisation more important than the advantages of FUJI???

please help

Image stabilization allows you to get sharper hand-held shots at slower shutter speeds (when the light isn't great). This is especially important when at the telephoto end of the zoom.

If you plan on shooting at the long end of the zoom, while hand holding the camera, then I'd say that IS is a great feature. Also if you plan on shooting long, the Canon does have a longer lens, so that is a consideration.

I haven't compared the two...but I would doubt that the Fuji really has 'much lower noise'. The difference between 8MP and 9MP is negligible (lower might even be better with these tiny sensors).

That is something for you to weigh in your decision between cameras. You can really take or leave IS it just depends on all the features as a whole and if they are what you want.

I haven't compared the two...but I would doubt that the Fuji really has 'much lower noise'. The difference between 8MP and 9MP is negligible (lower might even be better with these tiny sensors).

In the reviews the ISO 200 of S5 IS are little noisy whereas fuji images are crystal clear.

It is due to a larger sensor of Fuji(do not compare with SLR)

1/2.5" about 5.760 x 4.290 CCD -Canon S5 IS

1/1.6" about 8.2 x 6.1 mm Super CCD-Fuji S9600

Note:I am not buying a SLR as I need video.

In the reviews the ISO 200 of S5 IS are little noisy whereas fuji images are crystal clear.

It is due to a larger sensor of Fuji(do not compare with SLR)

1/2.5" about 5.760 x 4.290 CCD -Canon S5 IS

1/1.6" about 8.2 x 6.1 mm Super CCD-Fuji S9600

Note:I am not buying a SLR as I need video.

That Fuji is a damn good camera.
I'd rate is over the S5IS, its much beyond the S5is.
Image stablisation is good to have, helps in hand held shots, when the shutter is slow.
It drains the battery too. one still can do well w/o the IS, one ca rest the camera on some thing.
I had a problem while going in for my cam, bro wanted Video to be on it so i couldn't go in for a dSLR.

Also depends what you are shooting. If you are shooting landscapes for instance, you should be using a tripod so don't need IS. If you were to shoot sport you are likely only to have a monopod or handheld, and longer focal length so IS becomes very handy.

I have heard many bad things about the S5 and noise problems in low light, however apart from that I love my S3 (the model b4 the S5) and night time noise can be a pain, but most of the time its editable.

IS is a huge deal on high end Canon lenses.

On their P&S cameras? Not so much.

IS is a huge deal on high end Canon lenses.

On their P&S cameras? Not so much.

Amen to that. Couldn't do without it on my 100-400mmL

If you were to shoot sport you are likely only to have a monopod or handheld, and longer focal length so IS becomes very handy.

I will not be shooting sports ,so its s9600 for me then

and thank you all others who have replied

IS is like those beeping sounds when a car reverses to let you know how much room is left. It makes a lot of sense on the big ones. But regardless, once you've lived with it, you kind of take it for granted.

Most reactions

Back