Is IS that important to you in a lens?

I haven't used any IS or VR, in the Nikon World. I don't think I need it as my photo's seem to be turning out fine with my Sigma 70-300. It might be nice to have though as a backup to a steady hand.

It allows me to shoot sometimes as slow as 1/10 SS or even slower with out a blur, on my 18-55mm. I love it.

For telephoto shots of anything that doesn't move or moves slowly, IS/VR is a must. I can hand-hold 1/10th @ ~100mm if I squat down and hold my breath.

I wish I had VR on my 18-55 so I can hand-hold for even longer at the wide end.

It allows me to shoot sometimes as slow as 1/10 SS or even slower with out a blur, on my 18-55mm. I love it.

Shooting longer speed at lower focal lengths isnt that amazing....Ive used a 2 second exposure handheld and turned out pretty darn good. (At 50mm)

To the OP, IS/VR/OS to me is a waste of money. With cameras that have AMAZING high ISO performance, just bumbp up the ISO, and there ya go.

And since your planing to se it with a tripod anyway, why would you spend an extra 500 dollars on a feature that would hardlr get used. And even hand holding, unless its dark, you wont have to worry about image shake.

Shooting longer speed at lower focal lengths isnt that amazing....Ive used a 2 second exposure handheld and turned out pretty darn good. (At 50mm)
Mr. Rockwell, is that you? :lol:

Sorry, I could maybe believe 1/2 second, but 2 seconds? Bull-hockey-pucks.

On zoom lenses like the 70-200, I would prefer to have IS. It makes a huge difference.

On my shorter lenses like the 17-40 and my 24-70, I don't really need it or miss it.

It is a "godsend" for longer lenses. I like it on my 70-200 2.8 and on my 600mm f/4. Shorter focal lengths...not so important to me at all.

Well with my camera if I bump the ISO up more than 400 I get a lot of noise, especially if its darker indoors. So I like IS even below 70mm. I know you can fix it PP but its better if its not even there.

i'll say that with longer focal lengths it's a nice feature to have. but for me personally i do most of my shooting in ample natural light, or on a tripod for night landscapes and don't get much use out of VR/IS. so if i can get the same specs on a lens minus the VR/IS for much cheaper, then i'll go without.

Wow lots of good feedback here. Thanks. :) I definitely want IS. And I've ruled out the lens I was looking at which didn't have IS.

My mind is really buzzing now of all the decisions I need to make. Do I get the kit lens (18-55 IS) or the 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM? What about the 50mm 1.4 USM? How does that fit in, if it does? It's what I want in IQ. Then there's the 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM which is exactly what I want in IQ and performance. But if I get the 28-135 then how much does it buy me to have a 70-200?

Okay much to think about. :)

agreed - although usable high ISO are now becomming more standard in midrange cameras the entry level ones still have poor ISO control above ISO 400 - further I would far rather not have to use higher ISOs even if there was good control of the noise - a lower ISO is nearly always best and if IS/OS/VR lets me do that then its worth the cost.

I think its also important to point out that IS is much like having wide apertures such as f2.8 and f1.8 -- just because you have it does not mean you will use it all the time - but its means that you have it to use when you need it.

My standpoint is this.

IS or VR is not necessary. People took pictures, and continue to take tack sharp pictures with lenses without this feature.

This being said, is it a good thing to have? Without a doubt. Its a really nice feature to have, and can open up some new possibilities.

Dont be swayed away from lenses simply because they dont have IS/VR.

Most reactions

Back