Is it a crime to love shallow DOF?

RobNZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I find myself shooting more and more with very shallow DoF, I love how I can isolate something, but it also comes at a price. Sometimes you lose some otherwise really good shots because your focus is off ever so slightly or the DOF is to shallow for your subject.

Anyways, I went and visited another crew of keen radio controlled sailboat racers, these things cost about $2k!!!!

4933755891_b3b5a06049_b.jpg

2. Ewps a little too shallow, but the water/wake is sharp and thats my excuse so Im sticking with it :p
4934350498_0dfb45ae52_b.jpg

4933757171_14575b2d90_b.jpg

4. One that wasnt in the keeper bin until I played with it.

4933756045_e76d841211_b.jpg

Full set from todays efforts if you would
like to see more? TGA Radio Saling Club - a set on Flickr

C&C appreciated. My goal was to show the owners of the boats, photos they just have to have and have probably never seen before (the quality of the pics on their website is very poor). If I can turn their pride and joy into art, perhaps I have a chance of a sale.

If I laid down $2G for one of those boats and someone offered to sell me pictures of that quality, I'm sure I would jump on it. Good shots! I do wish your second one was a slightly wider DOF. But, you can't win them all.

*Edit* I'm especially fond of the first one. It reminds me of my Grandfather. :thumbup:

Why would it be "a crime" to like shallow DOF?
It works WONDERS where it works. Which it does here!
Shallow DOF is the means to separate subjects from their background, focus on them in the way one's eyes would never be able to do, bring them forward for the viewer. Nothing wrong with that!

If I laid down $2G for one of those boats and someone offered to sell me pictures of that quality, I'm sure I would jump on it. Good shots! I do wish your second one was a slightly wider DOF. But, you can't win them all.

*Edit* I'm especially fond of the first one. It reminds me of my Grandfather. :thumbup:

Yeah the 2nd one begs for a just a bit more, the first I am quite pleased with how it turned out, older life experienced hands working with something familiar and loved is the feel I kinda get from it.

Why would it be "a crime" to like shallow DOF?
It works WONDERS where it works. Which it does here!
Shallow DOF is the means to separate subjects from their background, focus on them in the way one's eyes would never be able to do, bring them forward for the viewer. Nothing wrong with that!

Thanks LaFoto, I think the reason I am sometimes not sure is I know what I like, thats a given, but what does the average Joe like? Shallow DOF can tell a story without the usual distractions we would usally see, but through the lens we can emphasise the subject, go too shallow though and I feel you can lose the subjects place in the environment it is in perhaps sometimes.

I love shallow DOF, using it in a creative manner is what attracted me to DSLR photography in the first place.

Thanks for your feedback sam_justice.

I like it too. I also like the "B" word. And 9 bladed apertures.

Nice shots Rob. As for #2, I get the sense the bow just moved out of the DOF. I think if I were to were to choose, I would prefer you nailed it as it was set up, rather that increase the DOF.

But then I'm assuming a lot about your intent, which I'm probably wrong about. ;)

If I laid down $2G for one of those boats and someone offered to sell me pictures of that quality, I'm sure I would jump on it. Good shots!:thumbup:

One of the shots has already sold to a member of the club (so far), I sent an email to the club president with a link to the shots, which he then included in an email to all members and has asked if I would shoot a national championship race series in about 3 weeks. I think I might just do that.:D

Its always a really nice feeling to get a sale, people dont part with their money easily, and its also confirmation you're on the right track.

<<<<<<<<<<LOVES SHALLOW DoF!!!!:hug:::sexywink::lmao:

Ahhh, if it's a crime, then I'm a criminal;) But seriously, I love these pics! Esp. that first one.

Most reactions

Back