is it inappropriate to:

303villain

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Take photographs in a cemetary? ive got an assignment on DOF(yes i know, simple simple) and since ive taken this class a bazillion times before(cant take any more advanced classes because of prerequisites im still working on!), i want to try something different. i was thinking of using the rows of gravestones and MAYBE a person as my subjects. the assignment is your run of the mill, give him prints displaying varrying degrees of depth of field and focus on various subjects. i just dont know if its *right?* to take photographs in a cemetary? i wasnt planning on going and wandering around the whole place, more like finding a small spot in there where there are no visitors near by and doing the assignment and leaving. no more than 20 minutes or so?

wow, thats freaky. I wanted to ask the same thing. I walk by a cementery a few times a week when i walk the dog and i think you can get some decent pics there. But i was thinking the same thing as you, is it inappropriate to do that.

ya i dont know! its different/interesting subject matter, but i just dont want to offend anybody or anythnig like that, its kind of a sensitive place!

I think you're fine if you do is respectfully and try and avoid other people who may be there. If you're asking this question, my hunch is that you wouldn't act as though you're abusing the space.

It all depends on what you want to do.
If in doubt you can always contact the authorities in charge of the cemetery, explain what you want to do and get their guidance.
I worked on a film that did a scene in a cemetary. It was a funeral. We got the appropriate permissions with no trouble - they even dug us a grave, though we had to pay for it.

I've never had any cemetary residents complain when I shoot in the cemetary.

Heck, I've never run into any other visitors there. Rumor has it the people there are kind of standoffish and don't visit a lot :)

I mean no disrespect for the dead, I just don't take death as seriously as some people do. It's a natural part of living, and I treat it as such.

I've shot in a cemetary before. As long as your respectful I think you'll be fine. When I go I try to avoid other visitors.

deb said:
It's a natural part of living
:shock: Surely only for the living dead? I think it's the bit that comes after living :lol:
The dead are past caring about such things, just remember that the living can be a bit touchy. Live people in cemeteries tend to be the recently bereaved (or photographers). A little tact and consideration is all that is required.

Guess I should have said a natural part of life ;)

And I know what you mean about the recently bereaved being a little touchy. My sister works for a funeral home, and she can tell some stories about family disputes over what to do with a dead body.

I've got my hereafter figured out.

I'm gonna have a direct cremation immediately upon my death (no intention of laying in state while people I barely know and probably like less file by and look at me). A friend of mine is going to put my ashes into a coffee can, sit the can inside one of the little display tents they have at Walmart each season, put a little schnauzer statue in the tent with my ashes, paint gone camping on a rock and pitch the tent in the smoky mountains.

But seriously, as long as you don't trample the graves or interrupt a service, I doubt very seriously that anyone will be offended.

i routinely photograph cemetaries. you will find that they are indepenently unique in their rules. check with the office before heading out. some will say no photos, picks or shovels, others will say just don't disturb anything.

play it by ear...you will find that cemetaries are a great source for photos!

I shoot cemeteries all the time. Yes... my wife thinks I'm strange.... and she never follows me into one.

The number one thing to remember... Always show respect....

Always watch were you step. This is especially true in an old cemetary where many of the tombstones are fragile. Falling over one of the smaller stones can also hurt ( don't ask ).

Always be aware of those visiting and do not disturb them.

Feel free to ask the keepers questions. Sometimes they have some great stories to tell. I generally start by asking which section is the oldest.

I rarely go during Sundays. I try to avoid times of mass and the busiest times for family to visit.

Out of respect, I usually pick up trash or clean stuff up as I wonder through. One time, I noticed someone had knocked all the little American flags down. I went through and replaced them into ground. The grounds keeper saw and thanked me.

Some cemeteries you can drive a car onto the premises. I generally prefer to park outside and walk through. You bring less attention to yourself. At times the car itself becomes a distraction in your pictures. Besides... I need the exercise.

Strange as it may be... have fun... I find the peaceful surroundings quite relaxing at times.

96663816.jpg

96663953.jpg

95475050.jpg

95475047.jpg

In a churchyard, on the hillside
Where the flowers grow entwined
There are roses, mungst the posies
Fertilized by Clementine

Oh my darlin, Oh my darlin
Oh my darlin Clementine
You are lost and gone forever
Dreadful, sorry Clementine.

Wow, and to think this is part of a kid's song. No wonder our children are sick and twisted ;)

Couldn't help myself. The second shot, with the tree growing so near the grave did it. Nice shots, though.

The last couple of times that my father and I paid our respects to my mom, I took pictures. One of my dad sitting on the headstone for my grandparents...looking down to the spot my mom lays...and yesterday a picture of a rabbit.

There is a LOT of nature in the cemetary. Birds, rabbits, squirrels as well as flowers (not just graveside) and interesting architecture.

Once I get my shots online, I'll share them here.

cool, thanks for your opinions. me and the girl im photographing are going to park across the street and walk in, and if we see any keepers or officials we will speak with them, if not were just going to go in quietly, not disturb anybody, stay away from people, do the photographs, then leave.

gosh, kinda sounsd like a covert operation when i say it like that!

Id have to agree with everyone else here, be respectfull, ask if you think you should, dont photography people morning, and and be quiet and solemn :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back