Is it just me ?

Dagwood56

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I guess here is as good a place as any and it in itself is probably going to start another argument, But here goes ---

Is it just me or are there suddenly far too many touchy people on the forum creating arguments where there need not be any? What happened to live and let live? Why is it that people seem to be jumping at the chance to start a verbal free for all wherever possible?

We're all here for the same basic reason - we like photography and would like to talk to others who share the same interest and to give those just beginning in photography some insight. Those people coming here to learn more are being "greeted" now with responses that imply 'I really don't want to be bothered' or that imply 'you are a complete idiot, I don't want to waste my time'. What happened to common courtesy, to politeness?

So many of the member's responses come across as rude, blunt and downright nasty recently that its really no wonder that other members approach those responses with a bit of arrognace and resentment of their own and then BAM -fight time!

I used to love coming here, and I enjoy an ocassional 'heated' discussion myself, whether it be to read or respond to it, but lately, coming here reminds me of the scenes in a moive - a person is on a ledge going to jump and instead of trying to talk that person down and help them, everyone is standing around yelling - Jump, jump, jump!

I think eveyone, including myself, should take step back and really examine WHY it is we all come here. Is it to argue, or is it to talk with others about photography?

One final thing - what is with all the gun photos recently? Personally I find them quite disturbing. Couldn't those people posting such photos be asked to do so in some sort of sub-forum, rather then on the regular boards, or at the very least be required to say in the title "gun photos" so people who don't find it "cool" to stare down the barrel of a gun don't find themselves doing so because someone has just thrown it in with a few other photos they took?

Thanks for listening.

Meh... I have my ups and downs. We're all entitled to vent a little, share a little and maybe even yell a little. I read what I want, learn what I want, air what I want and then just move on. When I feel that it is not fun coming here anymore, I stay away for a while. If I feel this place has nothing to offer anymore (like many of the older or original members), I will simply stop coming.

As for the gun photos... I don't see any, but then again, I stay away from the beginner's section. That is one of the places that was frustrating me and making me nuts. :confused: :mrgreen:

i also have been finding some bickering on the forums as of late...but more than that, im finding the redundency of questions almost unbearable...
ive been debating avoiding the beginners forums all together like some do, but i find that to be disappointing because i fall into the beginner category i think.
i think it's been stated here before, but forums go thru this...it;s all part of the cycle. :D

as far as gun photos go, if some really want to avoid them, then i dont think adding a keyword in the title is a bad idea...in fact, i think it's a good idea to add keywords across the board on all photo postings. personally, i like the gun photos, but i cant stand the photos of babies, and maternity, and flowers...so i feel your pain there dagwood. :D

i may follow in jerry's footsteps and avoid the beginners section. what camera, whats HDR, how do i watermark...day after day.

I'm with SrBiscuit, I get tired of baby photos. Yuk :)
But that being said, I wouldn't wish for a rule or anything that limits or prevents them.
So I think you should just move on if you see any photo, gun or otherwise, that you don't like.
Sure, say something about it in the thread if you feel you must, but don't try and legislate against it. I despise that attitude. It makes me want to go take some pics of my revolver and post them. :er:

Things come and go in cycles. I've been a bit testy here of late myself, but I tend to get annoyed when people start making pronouncements about things they have not experienced or even considered.

As far as the beginner's section, I wouldn't worry too much about it. People gravitate to it when they are first starting and go as far afield as their comfort level allows. When they go on to other sections they revisit the ones that they have recently vacated and give back the information they have gained so that those sections continue to be self sustaining.

As to the guns, babies, pregnant women and pauses just remember that it's a great big world out there and there is still room for each of us to just step away. :)

Problem is becuase no one is really doing much about it, that repetitiveness and severe misposting is now starting to gravitate into the Beyond the Basics section. If I look at the most recent 30 threads, *maybe* 2 are supposed to be there. Granted I have been guilty of doing that myself in the past, but I most seriously watch myself like a hawk lately and try to post in the relevant sections when creating a new thread. I also do a search.

I wish there was an enforced personal protocol that people would follow:

- do a search, post in the relevent existing threads.
- look at the description of the section you are posting... post in the proper section

That would cut down on 75% of the schnootz that is happening lately.

It could have something to do with the recent explosion in tobacco prices in the US. A quantity of tobacco that used to cost me $10 costs $80 now... (I'm quitting)

Could have something to do with it...?

I joined to argue and make people upset. I should also mention that I am the world's greatest photographer.

Love & Bass

I joined because you piss me off- And, as we both know, in the end, there can be only one.

Avoiding the "Beginner's Section" won't go towards creating a strong forum. We need the more experienced photogs in there more regularly. I am an intermidiate photographer fairly new to the business aspect...and I am one of the oldest members that frequent the beginners forum. I understand the exhausting repeats of questions, but occasionally there are fresh questions that everyone would like to hear answers to...including myself. If you see a title that you don't want to comment to...don't open it and go on.
To many people are blaming the new people who post these threads for their agravation, when its yourselves causing it by opening those threads and responding. Be selective rather than neglective, there are plenty of newer members like myself that don't mind repeating what you guys have for years until the next "generation" does it for us.
We come here for empowerment, and motivation...its a need we have...
From Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs:
Esteem
All humans have a need to be respected, to have self-esteem, self-respect, and to respect. Also known as the belonging need, esteem presents the normal human desire to be accepted and valued by others. People need to engage themselves to gain recognition and have an activity or activities that give the person a sense of contribution, to feel accepted and self-valued, be it in a profession or hobby

Ahhh... There can be only one... He who has the most toys wins!

Love & Bass

Yes, wins,... He who has the conch shall speak.

Anyway, back to the OT.

Dagwood, it comes and goes in waves and cycles. And we're all here for different reasons although the common thread is said to be photography.

I think for the most part the trick is to get what you want out of it, and when things get too stupid, find other sources to fulfill your wants and needs.

I, for one, would be a tad surprised if there wasn't an increase in, for lack of a better term, 'edginess' in the body of folks who post here.

Economically, we're not as comfortable with where we are and where we're headed than we were a couple of years ago. This has to transfer somehow to how we react to a lot of things.

There are a lot of good points here, and I'll admit that my starting this topic did originate from a new members post on the beginners board, but it does seem to me that the excessive - lets say bluntness and superiority, in the way many members have been responding migrates to many of the other boards also, and that puts everyone on the defensive from the get go. I agree with what DRoberts said :

"Avoiding the "Beginner's Section" won't go towards creating a strong forum. We need the more experienced photogs in there more regularly. I am an intermidiate photographer fairly new to the business aspect...and I am one of the oldest members that frequent the beginners forum. I understand the exhausting repeats of questions, but occasionally there are fresh questions that everyone would like to hear answers to...including myself. If you see a title that you don't want to comment to...don't open it and go on.
To many people are blaming the new people who post these threads for their agravation, when its yourselves causing it by opening those threads and responding. Be selective rather than neglective, there are plenty of newer members like myself that don't mind repeating what you guys have for years until the next "generation" does it for us.
We come here for empowerment, and motivation...its a need we have...
From Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs:
Esteem
All humans have a need to be respected, to have self-esteem, self-respect, and to respect. Also known as the belonging need, esteem presents the normal human desire to be accepted and valued by others. People need to engage themselves to gain recognition and have an activity or activities that give the person a sense of contribution, to feel accepted and self-valued, be it in a profession or hobby"

To me, staying away from the boards for a while, as someone mentioned, really isn't going to solve the sudden increase in attitude problems for anyone. Yes, it might give me a breather, but the bickcering is still going to continue. I've been here awhile, and I've been at photography for awhile, but I'm new to the digital aspect and I don't do too well with photoshop, so I tend to migrate to the beginners board whether to seek help or give it. However, if I were coming here for the first time and was spoken to in the way many new members are spoken to now - I would probably get very discouraged, leave and not come back.

The gun photo issues: I was not saying people should not be allowed to post photos of what they like. I'm simply saying that gun photos would be better in a sub forum. I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds them disturbing. I don't care for looking at car, maternity and baby photos either and that is just my preference, but most of the those threads say what they are in the title and if they don't, its not "disturbing" its just a mild annoyance to find them in the thread. If I see "gun" in the thread title, of course, then I will not look at at that thread, but some people don't include "gun" in the title. Thats all I'm saying - feel free to post your gun photos, just tell in the title that they are there for those members who don't care to view them.

The gun photo issues: I was not saying people should not be allowed to post photos of what they like. I'm simply saying that gun photos would be better in a sub forum. I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds them disturbing. I don't care for looking at car, maternity and baby photos either and that is just my preference, but most of the those threads say what they are in the title and if they don't, its not "disturbing" its just a mild annoyance to find them in the thread. If I see "gun" in the thread title, of course, then I will not look at at that thread, but some people don't include "gun" in the title. Thats all I'm saying - feel free to post your gun photos, just tell in the title that they are there for those members who don't care to view them.

Eh. Can't say I agree here either. I guess that me being a gun owner and also a smoker, am sensitive to other people classifying me and my actions, and either setting or trying to set restrictions on them. I resist all such attempts now. Even something as simple as what you said, asking for a warning in the thread title so that you don't have to look at my "offensive" gun, bothers me.
What else bothers you, snakes ? Should I put a warning on any snake content too ? How about hairy arms ? I remember on a wristwatch forum I participated in, there were those who took offense at wristshots that showed hairy arms.

When does it end ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back