is it just me

Funny, when I first found this site I thought it seemed ideal because there seemed to be a good range of people from beginners to pro here. From what I've seen you have to be pretty thick skinned or you won't likely last long.

Everybody has to start somewhere and I think most of us whether we are amateur hobbyists or pros likely did start with a simple point and shoot, right?

I really hope you won't make people like me entirely unwelcome even if our attempts do seem crude to you. There's a lot we can learn from you, and you have a lot you can impart to some of us future "pros" if you'll just give us a chance. Who knows maybe we can actually share something valuable with you too, even if we aren't at your level?

For the record I have a Fuji that's basically a more advanced point and shoot. It does have manual settings but it's not got much in terms of flexibility otherwise. Not much in the way of decent lenses. I work with what I've got and I'm hoping to upgrade at some point when I can afford it. In the meantime I am going to use that camera to it's fullest capacity and get what I can out of it and try to learn what I can from using it.

There's a lot I won't be able to do until I can get a digital camera that has more capacity than this one but I'd like to hope you won't look down on any efforts I might make while I am learning. Constructive criticism I don't mind, but tearing down someone for trying that's something I'm not nearly as okay with.

One of my teachers once told me something I have always remembered.

"The latest technology is a beautiful thing, but a truly great photographer can make something special happen with a pinhole camera if there is nothing else to work with."

Mind you I'd still prefer a Pentax DSLR to a pinhole, but I still got what she was saying. The equipment isn't nearly as important as the person holding it.

I've actually seen a lot of beautiful photography online done by some very talented people.

Not all of them were wielding a Nikon DSLR....

Photography unlike a lot of other art forms has always been a thing of the masses, I think. It's often their "point and shoot" beginning that sets a lot of the serious photographers off on their quest to become pros. I bear that in mind when I look at someone else's work. It's not always about who's better. Sometimes it's just about progress.

I look back at some of my earlier photos and I definitely see some. But I am sure that to someone who has been shooting for 30 years my stuff looks awful. 30 years from now I may be a pro or I may not, but hey, at least I am still out there, clicking away and trying, right?

Last edited:
I agree with the OP, though I haven't posted too much I used to sign on and read a ton a year or two ago. I left when things "started to change" and I can see the content is much different form before. Some will view this as bad and some as good.

Does anyone know where all those people went? I miss seeing OlllllO around here, he use to give good C&C and played in fight club each week.

whoa...I just registered @ an hour ago and I'm sure glad ya'll put me on to the flava here! I mean, I got million$ pieces hanging in the louve:) and i damn sure don't want to be taking the time too bring up no 'p&s kings'-now go see my sepia flower and tell me what I need to know.. (besides; How to post a shot here;)- just the url is there, for now.

...a lot of members have finally had enough of an administration (note administration not moderators) who are essentially just using the site for ad income and putting little to no effort in for the membership ...

That and the fact that this place has become so f****ing BORING!
I'd lost the will to live before getting half-way down the first page of OT posts.
The fun has all drained away and now it's just 'latest X has just been released/movie review/I've got a new X/i want to have a quick moan'.
Newbies or old sweats - the people on here now have the sense of fun of a smallpox outbreak.
I'm off to fondle nude statues and worry the sheep.

Does anyone know where all those people went? I miss seeing OlllllO around here, he use to give good C&C and played in fight club each week.

If anyone wants to know, PM me and I'll tell you.

Probably because the forum made the smartest move :)er:) and made it so that nude photos are not allowed on the forum, or something like that.

i HIGHLY doubt that a thing as simple as that drew away so many GOOD photographers yet attracted a bunch of point n shoot kings.
For me it was the fact that the admin here so obviously does not give a **** about photography. And they don't give a **** what you think about it either.

Nothing against the membership, or the mods - I know you guys were just as much in the dark as everyone else.

I started missing this place, so I came back. I guess I just don't care about that stuff anymore, lol.

:salute:

...and manaheim can fill you in on where some of us went.

Most reactions

Back