Is it possible to achieve these looks with a Nikon D70s?

In my opinion, those shots you posted need more shadow in the face. The even lighting makes her face look wide and flat. Try doing some research in studio portrait lighting techniques, and everything should become clear ;-)

If you want to see some portraits I took with a D70, you can check out this thread here. ;-)

im not a huge fan of shadow, plus i have been looking at photos in magazines for reference, and it seems they hardly have any shadows on the face. it's suppose to be more along the fashion side as opposed to regular portraiture.

Well, you will need to have at least a little bit of shadow. Shots where the face is nearly void of shadow, but the body and scenery is full of shadows...it just looks odd to the eye.
I think you've taken some good pictures...but over processed her face. The first shot her face doesn't match her body at all. It is far too bright when compared to her arm, neck and chest. The second shot suffers from the same bright face oddity.
Something about the processing makes her almost look like CGI...and...my honest first thought when I saw the second pictures was "She looks like Gollum." And I think that is simply because the processing makes her face appear wide, flat and bright...which brings her eyes out much more than need be...considering how large they are to begin with.

Shooting with the sun directly behind you is close to using you on camera flash, although the spectrum will obviously differ. Try using light from the side, bottom, top, back, anything but from directly in front, you will get much fuller looking images. Furthermore, the shots of this model, due to the lighting highlight her rface and downplay the body. moving the light source will get you a more balanced feel. And to the original question you can definately take quality photos with a D70. Remember you are not photographing a person or an object, rather you are photographing light.

Shadows are what help define features, so I think you need them to some degree. There is a difference between the hard shadows of direct light and the soft shadows of diffuse light, however.

Right. How does one achieve sculpturing shadows with natural light? In particularly, sunset?

Most reactions

Back