Is it possible to get a decent full frame camera for under 900 dollars?

DavidVote

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
The d700 looks like a good choice but it's over 5 years old. Would it be a good decision to invest in it?

What I have right now: a d3300, kit lens, 35mm 1.8DX and 50mm 1.8G.

Would it be a better decision to just stick with what I have until I could muster up the money and jump on a d750 or d610-600?

Last edited:
I think there is not alot of difference between the price of a second hand d700 and D600.
I just sold my D600 due to crisis .. and now have a d7000. the difference @6400 is day and night! but what if you invest in a fast 2.8 lens rather than your kit lens ? ... that's exactly my question on my thread lol

The d700 looks like a good choice but it's over 5 years old. Would it be a good decision to invest in it?
Yes.

The old full frame cameras - Nikon D700, Nikon D3, Nikon D3s, Canon EOS 5D, Canon EOS 5D Mark II etc - have aged very gracefully. They are still very good cameras even today, and they still have the good controls they had back then. The very best APS-C sensors are only now getting close to the oldest full frame cameras, kind of. And in some areas, such as Autofocus, there actually have been some noticeable improvements since back then. Also newer features, such as lifeview and video, will be less supported. But for photography itself ? They have been top of the line cameras back then and they still make good photos today.

Especially if you can get a model with low shutter count, its a good choice.

However, dont forget you also need glas. Right now you only have a 50mm. Will that be sufficient for you ?

P.s.: I tried my 35mm DX on the D600. It works pretty well. Just a bit strong in respect to vignetting. Didnt tried my 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 VR DX though, no idea how that would perform.

P.p.s.: The main issue I have with D600s is the oil spot issue. If thats resolved, it might be the better choice - it offers video, lifeview is quite useable, megapixel count is better, high ISO is better, its smaller and less weight, it offers quick access U1/U2 modes, and it offers a 100% viewfinder with high eye point (for people wearing glasses) though personally I'd say its not accurate anyway, the only way to frame reliably is lifeview, so - whatever.

Last edited:
I just sold my D600 for $900 to get a D750. It was through Craigslist and I was getting offers as low as $750. The D600 is still a very capable camera, and Nikon offers to change the shutter should your D600 be affected by the oil issue.

So if you really want a full frame camera < $900, you could hunt Craigslist for a D600. Ebay too. When I was selling it (this was about two weeks ago), prices were dropping pretty fast from about $1200 to $900. In fact, now that retailers are starting to stock the D750, prices for the D600 might drop even further if more D600 owners sell theirs to get a D750.

I think there is not alot of difference between the price of a second hand d700 and D600.

there's plenty of difference between the two. Most notably: twice the MP on one of the best sensors Nikon currently offers (14EV vs 12EV). Smaller light, shooters faster. U1&2 modes. 100 ISO is actually native. Dual SD slots vs 1 CF. 39pt AF vs. the 51pt system. Can shoot video.

used D600s can be hand between $850-1000. The shutter can be replaced for free (if i has not already been), pretty much making it a brand new camera.

Last edited:
If you can find a used D600 with the shutter mechanism replaced, you'll have a very good camera on your hand at a good price. Sure the D700 is a pro body, fully sealed and all magnesium alloy body, but there is a huge difference when it comes to ISO performance and the extra 12mp is great advantage when shooting in 1.5x crop mode when needed.

I can't believe how much the D600/D610 have dropped in price...I'll probably end up keeping my D610 when I decide to buy a new DSLR.

Why does it matter if it's been already replaced or not?

Why does it matter if it's been already replaced or not?

It doesn't, I personally wouldn't want to deal with sending it out and then waiting to get it back. But I'm an impatient person, lol.

My turnaround time was 9 days. I'd just like knowing when it got replaced--and who knows that camera could have been sent back to Nikon already and this time they replace it for a D610 :p

My turnaround time was 9 days. I'd just like knowing when it got replaced--and who knows that camera could have been sent back to Nikon already and this time they replace it for a D610 :p

I thought they stopped doing that?

No.

From the Horse's Mouth:

The solution: Nikon is making available to all owners of D600 cameras (even if Nikon’s product warranty has expired) this customer-service measure, which includes the inspection, cleaning and replacement of the shutter assembly and related parts of your camera, FREE OF CHARGE as well as the cost of shipping D600 cameras to Nikon and their return to customers.

In the event that after this customer service measure has been performed, dust particle spots are still visible in your images, please contact Nikon Customer Relations by phone at the number indicated below to discuss your concern. If appropriate, Nikon will either replace your camera with a new D600 camera or its equivalent model.

This is still the active service advisory.

That's good to know that Nikon is still doing this, so yeah..you can get a messed up D600 on eBay and Nikon could potentially replace it with the D610!

Only IF you're still having oil issues after they replace the shutter--which shouldn't happen.

Only IF you're still having oil issues after they replace the shutter--which shouldn't happen.

I think Nikon will even fix/replace grey market D600s too. I'm not sure.

Most reactions

Back