Is it realistic to think that I could...

All make sense, but why "shoot jpeg only"?

As I see it, the pros for each of jpeg and RAW are like this.

jpeg: Can fit more images in the buffer, requires little/no processing before showing.

RAW: Can better correct poor exposure and bad WB, allows more control over noise reduction.

Those of you with experience, please add to these lists!

To me, the advantages of jpeg shooting are much more important for this situation than those of RAW (which should be minimized if you take a minute to set up your camera before you shoot). I'm very interested in what those with experience have to say on the subject!

All make sense, but why "shoot jpeg only"?

As I see it, the pros for each of jpeg and RAW are like this.

jpeg: Can fit more images in the buffer, requires little/no processing before showing.

RAW: Can better correct poor exposure and bad WB, allows more control over noise reduction.

Those of you with experience, please add to these lists!

To me, the advantages of jpeg shooting are much more important for this situation than those of RAW (which should be minimized if you take a minute to set up your camera before you shoot). I'm very interested in what those with experience have to say on the subject!

What I say, is that it is very hard to "set up" your camera for indoor shooting, especially when speed matters.

RAW FTW!

... since he'll be indoors a lot, he'll need to make post processing ajustments a lot...

Wait, what? Why? I would think if you set the camera up correctly then there is no need to push exposure or correct WB in post. Are you talking about other adjustments or am I just wrong here?

Of course I assume you have the right equipment for the job, like that 70-200 f/2.8.

... since he'll be indoors a lot, he'll need to make post processing ajustments a lot...

Wait, what? Why? I would think if you set the camera up correctly then there is no need to push exposure or correct WB in post. Are you talking about other adjustments or am I just wrong here?

Of course I assume you have the right equipment for the job, like that 70-200 f/2.8.

Ah, but in beginner land, there is no such thing! Sure, if this guy has the proper equipment, then yes, let him shoot in jpeg all he wants. But, RAW has saved my 5.6 behind quite a few times

Wow, the reply comes too fast for me... Okay, so I think we are just talking about two different issues here - I'm talking theory that's all well and good if you can pull it off while you address the OP more directly. If this is the case then your response is more relevant to this thread. Thank you for helping clear this up for me.

Wow, the reply comes too fast for me... Okay, so I think we are just talking about two different issues here - I'm talking theory that's all well and good if you can pull it off while you address the OP more directly. If this is the case then your response is more relevant to this thread. Thank you for helping clear this up for me.

No problem, and hey, I can't make him do anything. Buddy, if you're reading, do whatever the heck you think you should do. I can't wait to see what you've taken.

Yes I'm a beginner, and I will definitely mess some up! We are a Hockey family primarily so I will be shooting a ton of indoor ice rink shots....

My approach would be to attend training sessions with the team. If you dont know them already, this is a relaxed way of introducing yourself to the coach and team. Secondly, you will be able to take as many test shots as required to make sure game night is nothing but action, instead of continually adjusting settings. Test shots mainly being to set your WB, the ice and arena lighting will require an 18% gray card for custom WB settings. This is also a good reason in this case to shoot RAW. It will allow more flexibility in editing to get correct WB and exposure.

You will also get to see results of ISO noise versus shutter speed. I shoot Canon and i'm not very familiar with Nikon, but if lighting is sub par, then you will really struggle with a 2.8 lens. If your intent is shoot lots of indoor arena shots, I would rent before you buy. Try out different lens'. I use a f2/135mm and f1.8/85mm, really good indoor lens'.

Back to the training sessions, see if you can shoot from the penalty box or the team bench. If you can prove to stay well out of the way at a training session, you may get to use those spots on game night. You would get some awesome shots from these locations.

I took a look at the galleries on NHL.com - low is good!

When shooting events and printing onsite i only shoot JPG adjust with picassa and print, photos are sent to 3 viewing touch screens using 5 Minute Photo this is one from just over a week ago slight levels and sharpen
562494501_A99ov-L.jpg

When the shots are for me i shoot raw

I am a hockey and baseball coach now, so I have a little "in" with a few of the locals. I had thought about the 5 min photo thing. Do you think it is worth the time, effort and money to set up every time, when you could save employee and equipment costs just by handing out cards... I bought 5 min photos book. I will let you all know if its worth the read. Thanks for the tips! This is a great thread!

Most reactions

Back