Is it really all about Flickr these days?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by PerfectlyFlawed, Aug 23, 2010.

1. PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Not even sure that the site 'Deviant Art' is near comparable to Flickr.(Quality or reputation wise) or if it is even in the same category..However, I do know you can make your page, as well as selling your work there (last I checked). Just curious if anyone on TPF uses this site, as I have never seen it in anyone's signature or even brought up since I've joined TPF.
    I know people join a large variety of sites to sell and buy ( not saying I'm considering selling any of my own) Guess it just came to mind...
    What's the scoop on deviant art as far as to benefit photographers?

....Just curious.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Deviant art has tended to be more attracting to those who are artists with either more traditional or digital drawn art rather than to photographers. I suspect its title as well as target audience is slightly different to that of flickr.
    Flickr however is not about commercial interests - in fact you can't use flickr to host photos for a commercial site nor make any sales from prints on their site. It is there simply to facilitate a photographic community and to also host images on the net for none-commercial purposes. Flickr also has well written terms and conditions which keeps it a step above the like of imageshack, photobucket and facebook - however if you are after selling your photos then places like smugmug and other sites are what you need

3. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

I started out on DeviantArt. It seemed to me like a great place to see other people's work, and share your own. At some point, though, I wanted my own space, so I moved over to a custom website. dA has the reputation like most of the internet: Lots of crap, but some absolutely fantastic stuff.

I definitely learned a ton looking at some photographers there. Actually, I ran a group page for TPF for a while (TPFers.deviantart.com), but it hasn't been updated in yeeears!

4. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've never been a fan of Flickr. I find their layouts and overall gallery appearance to be to bland.

While I have an account, I don't think I have really uploaded too much to it, definitely not like my Smug Mug (which is worlds better).

5. PerfectlyFlawed

Photos OK to edit
    Bump.

Thanks for the input guys!
    I've always been intrigued by the photography and digital art and such on there. Definitely some cool stuff... I was really into that site before I got too into photography stuff--thought it was the 'place to go' for photogs...But like I said, I never heard it brought up much. Guess flickrs where all the 'cool kids' go. Haha.

I'm going to check out this smugmug site see if I like it better than flickr.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  6. ghache

ghache TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use flickr all the time. i love it.

7. mooney101

mooney101 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm think I'm one of the few that never uses flicker. I think your time is better spent using a facebook page and Twitter account to help get your work out there for people to see.

8. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    There are a ton of people who have never used Flickr.

I laugh out loud when I see people refer clients to their account at Deviant Art. Think about it!

9. myfotoguy

myfotoguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yep, I hear nothing but good stuff from Smug Mug users. Zenfolio too is worthing checking into. Both used to have free trials. I ened up with Zenfolio myslef (for various reasons) but find them both very attaractive and well done.

10. Dmitri

Dmitri No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have both, Zenfolio and Flickr. Flickr is free (unless you want pro acct) and is great for showing off your work, ZF and SM cost $$ and I believe are nice for selling work.

11. Warren Peace

Warren Peace TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was just looking around to host some images, and was on Flickr, but was not impressed. I also checked out Photobucket, but have heard a lot of bad things about that as well.
    So far Im leaning towards Smugmug. From what I have read and heard, it all seems like a personal preferance.

12. PerfectlyFlawed

Photos OK to edit
    :lol: well yeah. I agree, Like i said i dont "plan"on selling anything or using it for a "portfolio" by any means...

I just wondered if it would be beneficial to create one to have as another site to show or offer ones photog work.

Im getting used to flickr...:thumbup:

Was so used to photobucket..(barf)