Is It Really the Photographer and Not the Equipment?

Since my camera won't allow me the DOF I desire...I shoot in "Infinity", then I post-process a pseudo-DOF into it by using the pen tool in Photoshop CS4, outlining the subject I want to stay in focus, right-click inside of the outline once I'm satisfied (no ababysean, not that comment either, wait for it, I'll make a comment just for you sometime in the future) and choose "Make Selection" then I select the Wand tool, right click inside of the selected area and choose "Layer via Copy". I then choose the original layer and give it some sort of blur or different effect that suits my taste. Its not fool-proof, but its good enough for this lazy bum...

I'm sorry

don't be - some people just lack manners sadly whilst expecting the forum to provide them endless new entertainment.

When I mention to people that I wish I had a nice dslr, they keep mentioning "...it's the photographer, not the equipment".

Little experiment you can try - tell them you're going to shoot some ones wedding in a months time with your current camera. Results can be very interesting to say the least ;)

. I certainly understand that at this time it isn't in my best interest to plow money into an investment I'm not ready to make with my current skill-level.

My advice (for what its worth) is that (provided you won't begger yourself or run yourself into financial hardship) you should never wait for your skill level to exceed your gear before getting new gear. It is far better to grow into gear, to have room to expand than it is to grow out of it and be left frustrated and constricted.
If you feel that you can afford better gear then by all means don't let yourself be held back in getting it.

The photograph is in your head and the camera is just a tool to capture what you see, the only time it is the camera is when you are shooting above ISO1600

or:
When you want no shutter lag
a faster flash sync speed (heck for some work you have to use an external custom shutter to get the shot)
when you need more than 55mm to frame the subject from your hide
etc... ;) :)

The photograph is in your head and the camera is just a tool to capture what you see, the only time it is the camera is when you are shooting above ISO1600

or:
When you want no shutter lag
a faster flash sync speed (heck for some work you have to use an external custom shutter to get the shot)
when you need more than 55mm to frame the subject from your hide
etc... ;) :)

1Dmk1 will sinc at 1/500 ;) thats why i have kept it

Good points Overread and well received on my part. I am totally going to tell someone that...its hilarious..
Thank you for the most for that last bit of advice by the way! I can upgrade to most likely a Nikon D6000 (I think it should run between $0 and $600) and so if I quit a couple of my habits, I would easily be able to purchase it given a couple pay periods. Sweet! You just pumped me up. Thanks man.

I hear ya BuS_RiDeR. I do have a willingness to learn and expand. I attempt to do the best I can with what I have. But I also am going to buy a better camera to grow into. Best advice I've received so far (IMHO) is to buy a better camera before I outgrow the current one. So I'll be saving up for one so I can practice other areas of photography. I'd like to try to do some more portrait-like photos like this one I did of my Office Manager using the camera function on a Canon Elura 80, a floor lamp with aluminum foil and a cardboard box as the only light source:

IMG_0171.JPG

The equipment can enhance the capability of the users of the equipment. The more "tools" available, the more a creative person can do.

Most photographers are restricted by their creativity, not their equipment.

I hear ya BuS_RiDeR. I do have a willingness to learn and expand. I attempt to do the best I can with what I have. But I also am going to buy a better camera to grow into. Best advice I've received so far (IMHO) is to buy a better camera before I outgrow the current one. So I'll be saving up for one so I can practice other areas of photography. I'd like to try to do some more portrait-like photos like this one I did of my Office Manager using the camera function on a Canon Elura 80, a floor lamp with aluminum foil and a cardboard box as the only light source:

IMG_0171.JPG

Very very nice. I'm dying to do a similar portrait like this using candle light.

I would say its the photographer because what really makes a photographer is the ability to sell the images. I would almost dare to say that the photographs themselves dont mean anything if the photographer doesnt get his work out there and seen. Marketing I would say is of equal or more importance than the photographs.

I would say its the photographer because what really makes a photographer is the ability to sell the images. I would almost dare to say that the photographs themselves dont mean anything if the photographer doesnt get his work out there and seen. Marketing I would say is of equal or more importance than the photographs.

This is 100% correct if you are looking to be a working professional. If you put no or little time to marketing then even if you are outstanding you will never get any work/sales. Vis versa is also true, to a point (there is a base limit of quality you have to be able to produce to get people to hire you and not sue you later ;)

I am the perfect example... i have a pretty nice dslr and my pictures dont look any better now than with a dslr that cost 1000+ dollars less. Not the cameras fault I am just new to the camera and dslr's as a whole. But after a lot time of shooting and finding my "style" i am sure i can take better photo's with my new camera as oppose to my older ones or my fiance's d90.

I'd like a D90...I want to make movies and I've seen some of the videos taken with that camera posted on youtube and kind of fell in love. I would rather have the Canon XL2 but the D90 is a little bit less out-of-my-budget. Don't know if I could get over the silly "jello" effect those hybrid cameras seem to experience...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back