is it still worth buying an slr camera?

lasershot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im in the market for buying a new camera, and I was wandering if its still worth it to buy a slr... is it???

I mean, is SLR going by the wayside...

Are you talking about a film SLR?

Most of the members of this forum use SLR cameras...digital ones...and they are certainly not going by the wayside.

Ya, thats what I meant, FILM SLr...

Film is definitely dead the primary medium, meaning it may be a little harder to get and develop your film. Depending on where you are, mail-order may be necessary (for *good* film and developing). If you're comfortable being in the minority, there has never been a better time to buy film equipment. Most of the great cameras and some of the lenses are extremely cheap as everybody dumps it for digital.

Dave

The film slr is not dead, for christ's sake. Yes, I'd probably prefer an M6, but why the hell not a film SLR? Jesus you people spend countless hours sitting in front of the computer PP'ing and you think it's inconvenient to develop film? gimme a break.

People thought that B&W film would be dead when color film took hold...but it's still around. Sure, it may be in a slow Delcine (Kodak stopped making B&W paper, after 100 years)...but it's still avaliable for those who want it.

I'm guessing it will be the same for color film...there will be a slow decline but it will probably be around for decades to come. Don't expect every drug store to develope it for you though.

So max, you support film still? How long does it take to get film developed...

Depends on the developer and temp ;).
2hr E6 at my local prolab :)

SO would you pick film over digital for a beginner?

The film slr is not dead, for christ's sake. Yes, I'd probably prefer an M6, but why the hell not a film SLR? Jesus you people spend countless hours sitting in front of the computer PP'ing and you think it's inconvenient to develop film? gimme a break.

?

I said as the primary medium (in the industry), and it is no longer the primary medium nor is it likely to return as such. Who said it's inconvenient to develop film?

Dave

I dunno what I was on about, with respect to you Dave.

SO would you pick film over digital for a beginner?

Absolutely. Nearly every film beginner I've seen has improved much faster than digital beginners.

It differs for different people. I've seen people who were stagnant in their development while shooting film...and then take off as they turn to digital. The instant feed back helps as does the attached shooting info for every shot.

On the other hand, when learning with film, people do tend to take their time and think about things more...but there is no reason that you can't do that with digital.

In the end, film or digital...they are just tools...means to an end.

Most reactions

Back