Is it worth it to go to school for photography?

Also, as sad as it is, there is a difference between liking photography and having to make a living from it. What I mean is that when you are forced to do it, to pay the bills, it may not be as much fun anymore.
But don't be put off by that...being able to make your living, doing what you truly love, is the big key to being happy in life.

If you think that maybe you just really like photography...then become a doctor or a dentist etc. Those are the people who can actually afford all the cool photography gear and can afford to travel to the cool places to take photos. :er:

Mike is right.

Also, not long ago on one of these forums it was pointed out that the average yearly wage for a professional photographer, wether college trained or not, was $25k a year. Just how much money do you to spend for the potential to earn such a princely sum?

An on-line or correspondence course may not be a bad idea. I just signed up for a Fundamentals of Digital Photography course through New York Institute of Photography. It has 16 lessons which they mail to you including books, cds, dvds, etc. and it is interactive online as well. Something to check out. I saw their ad in Popular Photography magazine and you can work at your own pace. You have up to 2 years to complete the course. Here is the info: NYIP - Overview of NYIP photography courses - Professional photography, digital photography

I took the NYIP Course last year. Just a bit of info. I learned soe things but didnt get as much out of it as I am getting from hands on practice and books from B&N. Just my opinion. Good Luck.

Most reactions

Back