Is it worth it?

YoungPic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have a pentax istdl dslr and its a good starting camera, but i was wondering if it was worth it any to switch to a Nikon d50?

well for starters, what lenses do you own for the Pentax? If you have a collection brewing already, I would'nt switch over to a new system entirely, and if you want newer, then move up in the Pentax line (unless you only have like. the kit lens).
The Canon/Nikon line is nice, and has TONS of avaliable accessories, but for actual quality, other brands aren't all that different, you're paying for the name. Now Canon and Nikon seem to be best with quality a little bit, but not leaps and bounds so don't worry. I'd say the Pentax K10D is looking like a nice camera if you want to upgrade. Dust sealed and gasketted, self cleaning sensor, and built in image stabilization plus the use of your current lenses.

I agree with what's been said, except the part about Canon and Nikon being the best in terms of "quality" which I have to disagree with; "quality" is far too broad a term, and I don't believe it's true either of comparable bodies or comparable lenses. Apart from product availability, or simple personal preference (which is itself a good reason), the main reason one would think of switching to Nikon or Canon would be for the things where Pentax doesn't offer a comparable product - like the full-frame sensors offered by Canon, or the vibration-reduction lenses. For example Pentax does not offer an equivalent to the D2X or the 1Ds. The *ist DL you have however is directly comparable to the D50 - it even uses exactly the same sensor. So I can't see any reason to switch from one camera to the other, I don't see that it would be worth anything. If on the other hand you're talking about switching from one brand or system to another, rather than simply a question of which camera, then there could be a good reason. So my questions would be, what is it you don't like about the *ist, or about Pentax in general? And what is it you like about the D50 or about Nikon instead?

If you can justify the switch, than go ahed. It's your equipment. This is more of a personal decision.

Just do what you want. If the D50 feels better and makes more sense to you, than buy it.

It's that simple.

Exactly, do what you think is best for you. All I would say is, purely in terms of what each camera is capable of, the specification and 'quality', the D50 offers virtually nothing over the *ist that I can see. In other words, you might prefer the D50 and you might prefer Nikon, but from the *ist to the D50 is a sideways move. If what you want to do is to upgrade to a more advanced camera, I would suggest either upgrade to the newer Pentax K10d as you suggested, or go for something equivalent like the Nikon D80 if you prefer Nikon and want to switch brands. Either of those would be a "move up" rather than sideways if you see what I mean.

thanks for all the replies and advice, so i guess i should just move up to a newer pentax model?

My original posting applies here too...

It is only worth it to you if the Pentax DSLR is preventing you from obtaining the photographs you want.

There is no reason to move up in Pentax model either unless there is something your current camera doesn't do for you. Don't upgrade anything just for the sake of upgrading.. it will be a long endless path leaving you with an empty bank account. If the istDL does meet your current needs and you still want to improve your system, go ahead and start looking into lenses. Manual Takumars or the current AF Pentax lenses are both good and fit into all types of budgets.

thanks again for the replies and after thinking about it,i think i just want a new camera for the sake of it, i should master this one before thinking of a new one, i have a pentax spotmatic also, with the stock 52mm, a 135mm and a 85-205mm, should i go buy an adapter for those lenses to use on my istdl*?

Sure why not have a go with the old lenses, but when looking for an adapter (M42 to Pentax K mount) be careful as some of the cheaper ebay ones are poorly made - get the genuine Pentax one if possible.

Most reactions

Back