Is it worth your life?

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
Yesterday I was on a 2 lane steel bridge with no side walk. The floor of the bridge is one of those in grid form, thus you can see the river below it. The traffic was quite busy and I was the stupid one taking pictures on and off the bridge.

Well this isn't exactly any sort of life-threatening situation, but it was a bit freaky. So given that you see a spot excellent for photo shooting, possibly an awesome shot but will risk your life doing, will you?

There's a bridge in Cleveland that I've been tempted to do this from. You are technically not allowed to cross it, but people do. There is a very narrow walkway on each side, and the bridge is actually a highway, so cars are going 60mph + across it. The views are spectacular, but I'm too afraid of heights to try it.

I don't know if it's because I'm getting older, or if it's because of the crap I see at work or a combination of the two, but I'm getting a greater sense of mortality as time goes on. To risk my life it would have to be an incredible picture and not a huge risk for me to do it.

One of my favorite landscape photographers, Dean Brown, died falling from a waterfall he was photographing. Let's be careful out there, and live to photograph another day.

We've had similar questions to this previously and my answer is still the same: risk my neck....no problem! but risk my camera.......never!

hah so my post will kill you - I wanted to go to Iraq as a photo journalist. And even to people voted for me, but finally most of jury said I'm too young. But I'd love to go there. Maybe because our Polish camp Babilon is much safer than yours ... but I'd like to go somewhere... to a dangerous place and take marvelous shots

Try Cambodia then. Just goofin' around one day I noticed every place had noted dangers in the Yahoo travel guide. For Cambodia there were as follows:

Hi-Jackers/Pirates/Bandits
Political infighting (riots)
LANDMINES! :shock:

We went into Cambodia in the early '90's while visiting Thailand. Thought it was pretty cool until we realized the place is just covered with landmines. Couldn't really step off the road much less wander around the temples and such. Lots of people with crutches and missing limbs. The armed guards made me nervous as well.

Cambodia is currently ruled by military government, that explains the armed guards.

Yeah it's a shame that Cambodia is filled with landmines. If not, it's filled with beautiful temples.

malachite said:
Hi-Jackers/Pirates/Bandits
Political infighting (riots)
LANDMINES! :shock:

The landmines might not be so good, but the pirates would be cool if you could speak Khmer (or maybe just French) well enough to convince them to let you join them.

uhh... and I thought I live in a dangerous country :D

[quote="walter23]The landmines might not be so good, but the pirates would be cool if you could speak Khmer (or maybe just French) well enough to convince them to let you join them.[/quote]

I think you have a romantic notion about them. I can assure you, you would not enjoy their company nor their methods of operation. They are not nice people, therefor the armed guards.

I do not have anything against the armed guards. In point of fact they are there to protect you from those who would do you serious harm. That goes for the ones in New York or any other place. I may not like the fact that we have them, but is it a shame that because of the attacks that we NEED them.

Still you are entitled to your opinions and dreams.

airgunr said:
I think you have a romantic notion about them. I can assure you, you would not enjoy their company nor their methods of operation. They are not nice people, therefor the armed guards.

I know, I was joking.

That goes for the ones in New York or any other place. I may not like the fact that we have them, but is it a shame that because of the attacks that we NEED them.

How is an armed guard going to protect against a crashing airplane, or anything else? The guards are there for nothing other than visual impact.

Walk around sometime and think of all the possible ways you could cause mayhem if you were a terrorist. It's a good exercise and should serve to prove to you beyond all doubt that the terrorist threat is grossly exaggerated; there are literally thousands of possibilities for death and destruction on any given day. Thousands of miles of important railway, for example. A 14 year old kid with $5 in his pocket could derail a train (in fact, they have). But nothing happens. If the country was swarming with motivated terrorists, there'd be a lot more going on right now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back