IS lenses

Simons

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

Can somebody please explain the benefits of having an IS lens?

From what i understand they help to reduce motion blur from camera shake?

If that is all they do, then if you are shooting in decent light, wouldn't having a quick shutter speed do the same anyway?

Am i missing something?

Thanks
Nic

Correct! To me Its like ABS in your car for 50 years people drove without ABS and were fine but with the addition of ABS it improved the vehicles braking. Do you need ABS , no but it sure does help in those sticky situations. Personally I would rather purchase a lens with IS than without.

Well my understanding of it is if you wanted to achieve a special effect with a slow shutter speed, then IS may help. I've never used one, though.

and you can always turn the IS off... so why not :D if you want it you have it, if you dot want it like when your on a tripod turn it off :D

also really helps on close up "macro" type shots. when your zoomed in you shake like crazy :D

IMO it's a VERY useful thing to have. I hate lugging a tripod around, and with IS you hardly ever need one. Depending on focal length you can take a sharp shot at 1/10th of a second pretty easily (17-55 IS @ 17mm) or even lower. I've gotten good shots of a waterfall with nice motion blur of the water at about 1/4 second with that lens.
Other end of the spectrum is telephoto lenses, again very useful. It keeps the viewfinder image steady as well, so even if you're shooting at a fast enough shutter speed to stop camera shake, it is easier to frame the subject (can be difficult to keep subject framed and focused at 300mm+ handheld).
Another useful thing is for panning shots - IS mode 2 can eliminate shake in the up/down direction while you get a perfect horizontal pan at slow shutter speeds.

Understand though that it won't stop subject motion - only camera shake. Shooting a moving subject you still need a fast enough shutter speed.

Basically, I :lovey: IS lenses

IMO it's a VERY useful thing to have. I hate lugging a tripod around, and with IS you hardly ever need one. Depending on focal length you can take a sharp shot at 1/10th of a second pretty easily (17-55 IS @ 17mm) or even lower. I've gotten good shots of a waterfall with nice motion blur of the water at about 1/4 second with that lens.
Other end of the spectrum is telephoto lenses, again very useful. It keeps the viewfinder image steady as well, so even if you're shooting at a fast enough shutter speed to stop camera shake, it is easier to frame the subject (can be difficult to keep subject framed and focused at 300mm+ handheld).
Another useful thing is for panning shots - IS mode 2 can eliminate shake in the up/down direction while you get a perfect horizontal pan at slow shutter speeds.

Understand though that it won't stop subject motion - only camera shake. Shooting a moving subject you still need a fast enough shutter speed.

^:thumbup::thumbup:
Sorry to change subject but what happened to you 200mm F2.8 prime? Its not in your sig anymore.

Sorry to change subject but what happened to you 200mm F2.8 prime? Its not in your sig anymore.

As much as I lvoed that lens I didn't really use it as much as it deserved. I'm also planning on selling my 300mm f4L and 70-300 and just getting a 70-200 f2.8 or f4 IS. Rather one good lens than 3.

As much as I lvoed that lens I didn't really use it as much as it deserved. I'm also planning on selling my 300mm f4L and 70-300 and just getting a 70-200 f2.8 or f4 IS. Rather one good lens than 3.

Id love to get that 300f4 from you but your across the world!:lol:

Fokker- Great explanation as to the benefits of IS!

When you're shooting inside in low light it can be the difference between a crisp shot and a slightly blurry one. But your right - outside in good light you may have little need for the IS. It's a nice option to have in your back pocket when you absolutely need to get a specific shot.

I use it outside too. If you pixel peep like I do, you'd be surprised at how many of your photos are just slightly blurry due to camera shake. With long focal lengths, even in broad daylight, IS can be a lifesaver.

Also, it helps with the resale value!

Thanks for the replies.. They've been very helpful!

Most reactions

Back