Is less really more?

Thus we hit the line between a one-trick-pony and a refined working method.

Thus we hit the line between a one-trick-pony and a refined working method.

It may be refined, and he may do good work in that genre. But to profess it's the way things should be and most pure form is just BS. Now do many of us move on to new techniques before perfecting a single one? Yes, of course we do. But that's the nice thing about freedom of choice, is we can do what we want to do. What interests us. The spice of life.

Variety is the spice of life

I think Eric Kim believes himself to be like Henri Csrtier-Bresson, a man who made his entire street shooting career off of 99% of all images being 1) shot on a Leica and 2) shot with a 50mm lens. Kim's hubris has lead him to the point that he figures he can do it all with the most basic of equipment, as did HCB.

Well, I think that less really IS more - but only if you have "less"!

That said, it's the final image that counts, not how many bits and pieces it took to make it. Sometimes I only carry one camera with one lens, sometimes I bring my medium format with multiple lenses and extension tubes. I use what I need to get the image I'm trying to capture.

apply this lesson to your shooting/gear. Pretty much K.I.S.S.

I sell all the lens I don't need/use.
I constantly evolve in my shooting style; and tend to lean towards specific lenses for the need.

Last edited:
I think Eric Kim believes himself to be like Henri Csrtier-Bresson, a man who made his entire street shooting career off of 99% of all images being 1) shot on a Leica and 2) shot with a 50mm lens. Kim's hubris has lead him to the point that he figures he can do it all with the most basic of equipment, as did HCB.

That was harsh. Although he is no Cartier-Bresson.

Are his images even that good? How does a guy like this get such a following?

My greatest 'less is more' image of 2017:
Untitled-1.jpg

I also noticed that Eric Kim very rarely posts new photos, he kind of constantly shares all his old photos. So I'm not what the deal is.

He also recently bragged about how he makes $200,000 and owns a Lambo just from photography. Yeah right!! Don't we all wish!?
God bless him. I prefer to have most focal lengths covered, that way I have a greater variety to take below average images.

There is a "to much gear" in photography I think. I'm an enthusiast but got caught up a little thinking I needed more than I did. This was down to inexperience as much as over enthusiasm when I started taking photography a bit more serious a few years back.

At one stage I had about twice the gear I have now, yet I'm able to do every type of shot now that I did then.

I have a friend who has a canon and Olympus set up, he has a 7d2, a 5dsr and an Em1 mk 2, plus 16 lenses, all of them pretty much pro level fast lenses, none of your nifty 50s, he regularly asks me if we are going somewhere what he should bring, I often feel like kicking him in the nuts, he has money and buys due reviews :)

My greatest 'less is more' image of 2017:
View attachment 143481

What exposure did you use? Was that 50mm lens? How did you get such a shallow DOF? The lighting is perfectly even? How did you set up the lighting? :allteeth:
My camera has a little dial with incoherent markers like "S" and "M" and "A". Concluded that they stood for "Super", "Marvelous" and "Awesome"- so I figure it doesn't really matter what you set your camera on, right? :D

I also noticed that Eric Kim very rarely posts new photos, he kind of constantly shares all his old photos. So I'm not what the deal is.

He also recently bragged about how he makes $200,000 and owns a Lambo just from photography. Yeah right!! Don't we all wish!?
God bless him. I prefer to have most focal lengths covered, that way I have a greater variety to take below average images.
With a multitude of lenses it is hard to take below average images. Once again, JC, you show you are capable of exceeding all expectations. :cool-48:

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back