Is lightroom best editor/organiser combination

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a subscriber, I like lightroom, but it's increasingly looking like it will either make users use the cloud or cost more or both.

But it does seem like the best out there where usability is concerned. Or am I missing a great substitute?

I think ACDSee is quite good, I tried the trial with 8 ultimate. I see they are now up to 10. Their monthly fee is cheaper, but you don't get Photoshop. I don't use photoshop, so might give it another go early next year. You can import your LR catalogues+keywords iirc. You can get the stand alone program as well.

I still get performance issues with LR. I keep reading people really like capture one.

From Adobe website -

Lightroom 6 is the last standalone version of Lightroom that can be purchased outside of a Creative Cloud membership. There will not be a Lightroom 7 perpetual offering. Lightroom 6 will remain for sale for an undetermined amount of time, but will no longer be updated with camera support or bug fixes after the end of 2017. Lightroom 6.13 with support for the Nikon D850 will be released on October 26, 2017.

So, after the end of the year. That's it for Lightroom on disc! Forced to go to cloud only (if you want support or updates for new camera systems)!

From Adobe website -

Lightroom 6 is the last standalone version of Lightroom that can be purchased outside of a Creative Cloud membership. There will not be a Lightroom 7 perpetual offering. Lightroom 6 will remain for sale for an undetermined amount of time, but will no longer be updated with camera support or bug fixes after the end of 2017. Lightroom 6.13 with support for the Nikon D850 will be released on October 26, 2017.

So, after the end of the year. That's it for Lightroom on disc! Forced to go to cloud only (if you want support or updates for new camera systems)!

Hence why I am enquiring about alternative options

Capture One is a more powerful, superior editor. However most people prefer LR's organization tools. gooner is correct that ACDSee is quite respectable at a very reasonable cost.

Joe

Or, you can convert raw files to something like TIFF with the software provided by the camera maker, first.

Same here. So far, I'm happy I did.

I just switched to On1 Photo Raw 2018 and love it. Bye bye Adobes monthly subscription.

I use Affinity Photo instead of photoshop.

I'll keep paying the subscription for now, I think it's worth it, but at least there are other options there should things change to much.

I downloaded a trial of ACDsee last night. I've 30 or so days to play with that, but really, lightroom interface is so good and easy to use

Lightroom isn't yet forcing you onto cloud save to purchase the software. "Lightroom Classic" is still going to run local on your computer with your folders and such and I can't see adobe getting rid of that service. It might well be that marketing focuses on cloud computing; and that in time using adobe cloud as an off-site backup might well become standard practice (go ahead start up a discussion on data backup and off-site backups will be part of those discussions). But overall it will still run local on a computer because that's the most efficient and fastest way to run for most users.

I think adobe were wrong to call it "classic" because in computing terms classic tends to be used to refer to an older edition of software; whilst adobe is using it to denote a current and modern bit of software that is simply running local instead of linking all your files into the cloud.

I too use Capture One pro more than I use Lightroom, and I use Photoshop Camera Raw more than I use Lightroom too.
But I also have lots of other applications, many for more specific purposes - like noise reduction, HDR, or portraiture.

Most reactions

Back