Is my Canon lens suppose to have this?

NedM

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently bought myself a Canon 135mm f/2 on eBay and just received it earlier today. While inspecting the lens for any damages from transit, I noticed this small indentation with a red mark in it on the lens mount.

Out of curiosity, I checked my other lenses for the same indentation and found that all of them have it but without the red mark. Does anyone know what this red mark means or is it nothing?

I have already tested the lens out. It works perfectly fine.

*Edit
I did come across this article but even the posters there are uncertain of what this red dot might mean

Red Dot = Refurb

1LsWsDM.jpg

Not an expert on Canon mind you but from what I understand it's just an alignment mark to indicate where to mount the lens. EF lenses from what I understand use a red dot, EF-S lenses use a white rectangle

Not an expert on Canon mind you but from what I understand it's just an alignment mark to indicate where to mount the lens. EF lenses from what I understand use a red dot, EF-S lenses use a white rectangle

Hmm, I don't believe it's an alignment mark to indicate where the lens is to be properly mounted. The alignment mark is on the side of the lens in the picture on my OP. (You can see it slightly protruding on the right side of the lens) I am talking about the red mark in the hole on the bottom of lens mount.

I believe the red Alignment Dot is on the side of the Canon lens not on the base the one In the hole next to the screw is probably red Ink marker indicating refurbished but not for certain but as long as its genuine Canon functions well thats all that counts.

Last edited:
I believe the red Alignment Dot is on the side of the Canon lens not on the base the one In the hole next to the screw is probably red Ink marker indicating refurbished but not for certain but as long as its genuine Canon functions well thats all that counts.

I'm assuming that red ink is an indication that the lens was probably refurbished or calibrated. The lens works perfectly fine, so far I haven't had any issues with it. How can you tell if a Canon lens is genuine?

I'm assuming that red ink is an indication that the lens was probably refurbished or calibrated. The lens works perfectly fine, so far I haven't had any issues with it. How can you tell if a Canon lens is genuine?
There's not exactly a burgeoning market of counterfeit Canon glass.

Thats awesome could have been calibrated which is a good thing.I am a big fan of refurbished, I have had three nikon body's refurbished my most recent is a nikon D7000 with 27 clicks on it looks brand new and functions perfect the AF has been spot on accurate.

Agree; a service mark of some description, but probably NOT from Canon.

The indentation is for the lens lock pin. Look at your camera mount there will be a small protruding pin in the 3 o'clock position. That pin and hole confirm for the camera that the lens is properly mounted. As for the red, who knows, my be the previous owner just put some paint/fingernail polish in the hole. It is not a repair mark of any kind I am aware of

The indentation is for the lens lock pin. Look at your camera mount there will be a small protruding pin in the 3 o'clock position. That pin and hole confirm for the camera that the lens is properly mounted. As for the red, who knows, my be the previous owner just put some paint/fingernail polish in the hole. It is not a repair mark of any kind I am aware of

If that's the case, now I'm just curious as to why the previous owner would take any time out of their day to mark the inside of lock pin. (btw, glad to know what that small indentation is for) Just an odd little thing I noticed on the lens mount and I figured someone from the community would know what it meant.

I can only assume it was marked because A) It was either previously refurb/calibrated or B) Could it perhaps be a anti-theft tactic? I.e. Be able to identify a stolen lens using this strange method

I'm trying to remember Canon FD mounts from the film days, I shot Nikon for film. I think that the old FD mount had a red mounting dot on the camera mount and the lens mount. It has been so long since I messed with an AE-1 that I don't remember. As for the red, it is hard to say, I don't know of anyone using the red as a repair, refurbish marking but it is always possible. As long as the lens works you are good.

If I get a chance tomorrow I will pull my 135 f2 and take a look at that mount. It was used but not refurbished. Person I got it from had GAS and found out it didn't suit his needs as he thought.

Well the link suppled above in the OP post Red Dot =Refurb at least a couple people confirmed that there Canon refurb Lens had the red marker ink or what ever it is.One was refurb directly from Canon USA.So my guess its used for identification of it's been serviced.

The only lens I've bought as a refurb was my 85 and it has the same red dot.

i bought a refurbished 50mm 1.8 STM two years ago, it has the red dot (which I previously never noticed)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back