Is my gear sufficient for this job?

Discussion in 'Commercial/Product photography' started by ironsidephoto, Apr 17, 2010.

1. ironsidephoto

ironsidephoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm getting a gig photographing the insides of manufacturing factories in other countries for a large company.

Here's my current gear list.

Nikon D300s
    AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D
    AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
    AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
    Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 IF DX ultra wide angle
    Nikon SB-600

Just wondering if anyone has ANY tips on cost-effective changes to this lineup...I'm not made of money, but I want to do a good job. I anticipate low light and cramped conditions...dark wedding style.

If I had to, would it be more effective to sell my D300s and get a D700, or should I get some faster lenses?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  2. ironsidephoto

ironsidephoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good point!

My main concern, technically, is having to up the ISO to the unbearingly grainy point. I know the D700 has far superior noise quality to the D300s, and there very well may be some instances in which no skill level can surpass the lack of light. Not to mention the FX image quality...

Beats me.

3. ironsidephoto

ironsidephoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the link. I heart Ken Rockwell, but he does make the point I was trying to make:

I will be shooting in low light almost all of the time, so the high ISO and blowing up might actually come into play.

I have a Giottos MT-9360 tripod with a Slik AF2100 Pistol Grip. It's heavier than carbon fiber, but hey, I can afford more pushups more than I can afford carbon fiber.

4. den9

den9 TPF Noob!

a good tripod, unless you are taking pictures of workers you wont need fast lenses, if the place is nice, the factory will probably be very brightly lit.

5. jeff000

jeff000 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree tripod will be all you need. Not sure what the photos will be for, seems more internal audit or planning more then being used for anything commercial as you don't want to openly share details of your manufacturing.

As someone else said, any modern factory/plant will have great lighting.

6. Shaneuk

Shaneuk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's plenty, I only have 450D and the kit lens, with a flash gun, and I've shot weddings and had plenty of good shots, obviously more/ better kit will help you get better photos, but only if you have the theory.

7. Formatted

Formatted TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Tripod? Why would you need that! You will be moving around the stage the last thing you need is more gear. I wouldn't buy a D700 right now as most people I talk to believe that the D700 will be replaced this year. (Check out www.nikonrumours.com ) So I'd say the D300 and 70-200 will be your primary body! And then use the wide angle when you need to!

So ye your gears good enough but are your skills!

8. ironsidephoto

ironsidephoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks guys. I WILL be taking photos of workers--that's the the main reason I'm going. They'll be used to show improvements to shareholders, in their ethical standards documents, etc.

That said, I have a tripod (see above), so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the input!

9. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Well, then ya better get some lighting.

Good luck!

-Pete

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  10. jt69

jt69 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are going to take photos of workers.. You definitely need a flash!. As long as there is light there is good photos. Doesn't matter what camera you use.

11. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I understand your not wanting to be specific about the job depending on what exactly you are doing and who you are doing it for. Unfortunately, that limits what can be said in response.

I'm looking at your gear list and my first thought is: where's the back up?

Second thought is that if you are shooting documentary/PJ style, yes, it should be enough although I personally favor fast primes over zooms (even fast ones). They are lighter and for the most part higher quality. And you can zoom with your feet.

On the other hand, if you are shooting annual report style shots, you would definitely need lights. And I mean strobes, not flashes. And the more the better.

As for those who think modern factories are light, I guess you haven't spent much time in the third world. Even in the US some factories are not that light. So a tripod might be good. But then again it really depend on what style you are shooting.

12. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Very true. And, perhaps more important, the light will be straight down. So no matter how much ambient light there is, it's not likely it will be coming from where it should.

Like I often say, adequate lighting does not equal proper lighting.

-Pete