Is my gear sufficient for this job?

ironsidephoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ironsidephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm getting a gig photographing the insides of manufacturing factories in other countries for a large company.

Here's my current gear list.

Nikon D300s
AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D
AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 IF DX ultra wide angle
Nikon SB-600

Just wondering if anyone has ANY tips on cost-effective changes to this lineup...I'm not made of money, but I want to do a good job. I anticipate low light and cramped conditions...dark wedding style.

If I had to, would it be more effective to sell my D300s and get a D700, or should I get some faster lenses?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Good point!

My main concern, technically, is having to up the ISO to the unbearingly grainy point. I know the D700 has far superior noise quality to the D300s, and there very well may be some instances in which no skill level can surpass the lack of light. Not to mention the FX image quality...

Beats me.

Thanks for the link. I heart Ken Rockwell, but he does make the point I was trying to make:

Even though the D300 is inferior at ISO 3,200 for blowing up to insane levels, shot properly in daylight, all three cameras are not just similar, they are visually identical.

I will be shooting in low light almost all of the time, so the high ISO and blowing up might actually come into play.

I have a Giottos MT-9360 tripod with a Slik AF2100 Pistol Grip. It's heavier than carbon fiber, but hey, I can afford more pushups more than I can afford carbon fiber.

a good tripod, unless you are taking pictures of workers you wont need fast lenses, if the place is nice, the factory will probably be very brightly lit.

The only piece of gear you might need is a nice tripod. If your doing professional interior shots of factorys that would help alot so you will be able to shoot iso 100 at f/8

I agree tripod will be all you need. Not sure what the photos will be for, seems more internal audit or planning more then being used for anything commercial as you don't want to openly share details of your manufacturing.

As someone else said, any modern factory/plant will have great lighting.

That's plenty, I only have 450D and the kit lens, with a flash gun, and I've shot weddings and had plenty of good shots, obviously more/ better kit will help you get better photos, but only if you have the theory.

Tripod? Why would you need that! You will be moving around the stage the last thing you need is more gear. I wouldn't buy a D700 right now as most people I talk to believe that the D700 will be replaced this year. (Check out www.nikonrumours.com ) So I'd say the D300 and 70-200 will be your primary body! And then use the wide angle when you need to!

So ye your gears good enough but are your skills!

Thanks guys. I WILL be taking photos of workers--that's the the main reason I'm going. They'll be used to show improvements to shareholders, in their ethical standards documents, etc.

That said, I have a tripod (see above), so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the input!

If you are going to take photos of workers.. You definitely need a flash!. As long as there is light there is good photos. Doesn't matter what camera you use.

I understand your not wanting to be specific about the job depending on what exactly you are doing and who you are doing it for. Unfortunately, that limits what can be said in response.

I'm looking at your gear list and my first thought is: where's the back up?

Second thought is that if you are shooting documentary/PJ style, yes, it should be enough although I personally favor fast primes over zooms (even fast ones). They are lighter and for the most part higher quality. And you can zoom with your feet.

On the other hand, if you are shooting annual report style shots, you would definitely need lights. And I mean strobes, not flashes. And the more the better.

As for those who think modern factories are light, I guess you haven't spent much time in the third world. Even in the US some factories are not that light. So a tripod might be good. But then again it really depend on what style you are shooting.

...Even in the US some factories are not that light.

Very true. And, perhaps more important, the light will be straight down. So no matter how much ambient light there is, it's not likely it will be coming from where it should.

Like I often say, adequate lighting does not equal proper lighting.

-Pete

I'd recommend getting a handle for getting the flash off the camera too.

Imo, the gear you have is more than adequte. Maybe invest in some more lighting if you really feel you need too. Bear in mind that photography gear is often designed to capture photographers Not photos.

Most reactions

Back