Is my sensor broken?

Simonch

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, i have attached a file, if you look closely, in the centre of the memorial there is a red pixel, and on one of the hay bails, there is a blue one - is this due to damage on the sensor or dirt? just wondering if you could shed any light! (i know the photo is dreadfully out of focus, but im not worried about that for now!) thanks folks

IMG_4582_edited-2.jpg

Pixels that stay on are called hot pixels and occur sometimes due to heat. A rare occurrence is that they will go away by themselves or when the sensor cools down, but mostly you will have to send the camera in for repair- or keep a mask handy to blot them out in post production.

Not sure if the manufacturer would repair. A couple of hot pixels is not a problem really as generally in a print you'd never see the individual pixels - you usually need to zoom in quite a way to see them.

If you want to see if your camera has more, the easiest way is to take a long exposure (try 20secs) with the lens cap ON. I have a few on mine and it's never been a problem.

to me this looks not like a well exposed image, with a lot of noise anyway. probably also with some longer exposure? in any case, you will have a few of such hot pixels on any camera.

many of today's raw converters have the option to remove all of them with just one click before you even produce the jpeg.

I doubt any camera producer would exchange your camera or sensor... since your new sensor will have such pixels as well, just in different locations. Also, sensors do age, and you get more over time anyway.

those are called hot pixels, and everyone has them. they occur due to the snsor being on for a long time. So when you use a long exposure, or sometimes even high ISO (hot pixels are different from noise) you will get them. just use the clone tool to make them go away. its nothing to worry about.

LOL its a 30 second exposure at ISO 1600. I'd say one hot pixel means your camera is performing ABOVE normal.

PS, focus to infinity if you want a clear picture.

LOL its a 30 second exposure at ISO 1600. I'd say one hot pixel means your camera is performing ABOVE normal.

PS, focus to infinity if you want a clear picture.

oh, you checked the EXIF? I was to lazy to do so ... ok LOL ... that is a hell of a fine sensor then :lmao:

Nothing to worry here, for sure. My sensor with all those intercontinental flights with all that radiation up there has certainly more hot pixels than this one ;)

yeah, iso 1600, im not in the habit! gotta love us noobs tho!! thanks a lot for the feedback guys, and putting up with my stupid questions!! take it easy!

hmmm at ISO1200 I can go 1/2" without getting a hot pixel and my camera cost double of what yours did. Believe me it is not broken :lol:

Most reactions

Back