Is New Camera Worth It?

Darth Roxi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not new to photography but pretty new to digital photography. About 6 months ago I bought a used canon digital rebel XTi 10.1 Megapixels. It works alright but I'm having the hardest time with me shots. I was in a digital photo class at the time and my teacher suggested using the AWB. So I've been using that for a while but I'm just not at all happy with the way my shots come out. I've since tried to set the WB myself but when im in the shade and set it to shade they come out so dark. When I'm in the shade and set it to Sunny it comes out somewhat better but still not perfect (etc.) About 95% of my shots come out way too dark. I've tried numerous things with the WB but Ive given up and decided to buy a new camera. I'm looking to spend about 700 dollars. Anyone have any suggestions?

??
Hmm I would say you might get the same results with a different body - its about the lowest end of image quality - first comes the users skills then the lens and then the body.
I would say your best line is to show us some of these shots that are not meeting your expectations and tell us what settings you used and what lens (the kit lens with the XTi is far from good when compared to the rest of canon stock). That $700 would be better spent on a new lens. And it might be that you are just making a small mistake over and over and a small correction can save your shots

Its not a wb issue its an exposure issue.

As mentioned, the White Balance doesn't have anything to do with how bright or dark your photos are. I'd suggest just leaving on Auto WB until further notice.

It sounds like you could use a primer on basic Exposure. You need to learn about shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Also, it would greatly help to learn about metering and controlling exposure...which means using 'Exposure Compensation' or Manual mode.

I suggest looking at the book 'Understanding Exposure' by Peterson.

If you're shooting in P, AV, TV, or M, check your exposure compensation. Probably not the issue.. but it's what comes to mind.

I didnt think about the exposure being the problem because i usualy shoot in P because for the time being most of my shots are just of family things. When im shooting "artisticaly" i dont seem to run into the problem as much. This is why I assumed it was a WB setting. lol I guess theres just no shortcuts to getting good pictures fast. Thanks for all the feedback.

You might invest in a grey card and a white towel.

Use the grey card to set your exposure and the white towel to set your WB. :)

P.S. you should never leave home with out your towel. ;)

Just for the WB issue: since it's a digital camera, why don't you shoot in RAW?
You don't even have to care about the WB then, you can correct it later on at home in the Lightroom develope module or in Camera Raw in Photoshop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back