Is photography an art or just a medium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it so interesting that whenever anyone wants to talk seriously about Photography on The Photography Forum, several of the more active members, whoever they are at the time, will invariably turn up and try furiously to shut the conversation down. The players change, but the game remains the same.

I was wondering about that. When I ask the question I seriously wanted to hear opinions but did not expect the negative remarks.
There is no ONE answer to this.
And if you have an opinion on it, and someone else has an opinion that differs, that's just the way it is.
What is art to one person, could not be art to another.

It's in the eye of the beholder if a photograph is art or not. Or anything else for that matter.

Trying to get a consensus would be fruitless.

Last edited:
When I ask the question I seriously wanted to hear opinions but did not expect the negative remarks.

I doubt if you even read my answer. I still have not seen any "negative remarks" directed at you. If you are so easily swayed into swallowing BS statements such as the one you responded to, there is nothing more I can say to help you with your quest.

Well now I'm curious.

Designer, just as a for-instance, the example I recall without reviewing the thread, did you completely miss robbins' snarky post about black turtlenecks and bongos? Or did you not interpret it as negative? I mean, he DOES write 'Lol' after every post, so, that makes everything, no matter how ****ty, ok. Or maybe you have some people on ignore?

Well now I'm curious.

Designer, just as a for-instance, the example I recall without reviewing the thread, did you completely miss robbins' snarky post about black turtlenecks and bongos? Or did you not interpret it as negative? I mean, he DOES write 'Lol' after every post, so, that makes everything, no matter how ****ty, ok. Or maybe you have some people on ignore?

No, that was not "negative" nor "snarky". Robbins simply likes to inject some humor.

Incidentally, I have been flamed. Hard. Not here, but on another forum. I can recognize negativity when I see it, and I don't get bent out of shape if someone posts sideways to the topic of discussion. It's just a part of internet discussions.

Is cooking an art form, or just a way to fill stomachs with hot food that will not cause foodborne illness nor allow parasites to be ingested alive?

To a big-name chef, the selection,preparation, and cooking of food is an art form; to some kid flipping burgers at a hamburger joint, "cooking" is a minimum wage job, and a grind. I think the same issues apply to photograpy: it is a medium, of that we are certain. Photography has craft, and science aspects, and with the right person doing the photograpy, it might reach the level of "art".

Bobby Flay, the famous chef, versus the Burger King afternoon fry cook...meticulously composed, painstakingly printed, and lovingly matted and framed photographs, versus iPhone snapshots of a drunken night with my friends...

I find the meta-discussion here to be as fruitless as the original.

Very astute, madam. I might take this opportunity of resting just before lunch to add some points.

1. The question posed to the OP by her teacher was non-sensical at best. It was a question that required clarification before I could offer my opinion.
2. I understand that somebody would think this is a worthwhile line of discussion, but as it has been thrashed over by countless people for a long time, I don't see how we can substantially add anything to the discussion.
3. If anybody has perceived negativity here, it is most likely the result of "The Offended" having a very thin skin.
4. If anybody is mean in this equation, it is the teacher for having posed a question that was so poorly-worded that an unsuspecting student simply passed it along without considering if it was actually a good question.
5. This thread has seen some good responses from those who thought they understood the question to be; "is photography an art form?" Which wasn't the question as asked.
6. I have no idea what the OP is able to glean from this thread, but if she should ever want to further the discussion, I suggest that she re-word the question so that it makes sense, and not be so thin-skinned about some of the side-tracks.

Is paint an art form or is it a medium?

It was in fact negative and snarky, you simply choose to ignore the fact because you like Robbins and you don't like me.

Negativity isn't flaming and nobody ever said they were. I've been rattling around the internet a couple decades and I'm pretty sure I recognize negativity too.

As for you limr, well. Best I hold my peace.

And I think after 10 pages its time for the thread to hold its peace too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back