Is photography hard?

Kanikula

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I use another couple of forums, and a small discussion has arose on the difficulty of obtain a good shot - Person A claims its a case of "snapping away...its not rocket science" While person B says its much more than that.

What do you think :)

Photography is dead easy.

Taking GOOD photographs can be "a bit" tricky at times.

To someone who has their act together and knows almost intuitively how to get the best out of their equipment, I've no doubt that it is "just snapping away". For most of us though, it takes just a little more effort.

Nah, it's not hard. I can take crappy photos all day without working up a sweat.

It's just like writing a novel. You only need to mash away randomly at the keyboard long enough and you'll equal Tolstoy.

Yeah, I think it's like drawing or sketching, or maybe painting or something. Some people can just pick up a pencil or brush and do it great after just a few tries. Others struggle endlessly and never really get it. And everything in between.

But if by "snapping away" you mean it's a numbers game what you can just rapidly shoot and then pick the "good ones" out then no. It's not like that at all.

I agree with the above. I used to think that if I take a huge amount of photos that some of them will turn out good. One of them will have to have all of the eyes open etc.

There seems to be some truth to this, however, I would say that a truly great shot generally requires knowledge thought and preparation. There are some stunning shots that that were taken in a matter of moments, but in general it seems that shots that stand out from the average are ones that have had thought put into them.

Eh, it's not really all that challenging to me. I mean, I don't take amazing photographs, but I take pretty good ones. I've only been at it a year and I feel that I'm in pretty good shape. And at 17, I've got lots of time to keep getting better. So, I don't know, photography is like any art, it's harder for some people than others. I've always been a bit more creative than average, so maybe that's why it's easier for me. That and I'm willing to give up a lot of time or energy or risk my body itself for that single great shot. Determination plays a pretty big role in my mind when it comes to making a great photograph. You've gotta figure out what you want, and then figure out how to get that, and never give up from point A to point B. If you can't do that, then it'll be really hard to be a great photographer.

LOL how about just thumbs and no fingers Kafka ;)

I found the topic quite interesting as the person in question was refering to snapping away and choosing the best and implied that anyone could do it.

Ijust though it odd to state such a thing to people wanting to learn about portrait photography - i know opinions differ, but......

It's just like writing a novel. You only need to mash away randomly at the keyboard long enough and you'll equal Tolstoy.

I know what you're saying, but I think this is why some people think photography is easy. They are thinking: Isn't there a machine that does it for you? All you have to do is point it, right? (there's no equivalent for creating a novel 'instantly' be it good or bad). And everyone had that lucky shot (I know I did). I'll be honest, when I picked up the camera, I thought 'how hard can it be'. Now I know and I struggle on...:)

pascal

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back