is photoshop CS2 "worth it"?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by jerseygirl, Mar 8, 2007.

1. jerseygirl

jerseygirl TPF Noob!

i just started to shoot RAW and am interested in learning advanced photoshop techniques. i have an education version of 7.0 and can possibly get an upgrade for $160 or so. i'm wondering if i should just bite the bullet and buy the non-education version of CS2 so i don't have to try to continuously purchase education upgrades as i won't have access to those anymore in the near future.

i am interested in buying some books, but they are mostly geared for CS2. are there any good 7.0 books that you recommend and can i "get by" with 7.0 a little longer? i really don't want to spend the $$ on CS2 now...

thanks!

2. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Why wouldn't you have access to them? I don't think they wear out. You can buy a brand new education version for about $300.

3. jerseygirl

jerseygirl TPF Noob!

because i'm not a student or teacher. if i temporarily continue the education route i can get the upgrade for 160 that should be compatible with the education 7.0 i have now...

4. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you have to ask whether it is worth it, then you probably don't need it.

5. jerseygirl

jerseygirl TPF Noob!

i guess one could look at it that way...but books recommended by friends are referencing CS2 so i don't know if what is illustrated can only be done using CS2 or if 7.0 can achieve the same results...

do you have any 7.0 book recs?

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Photoshop CS3 will be released by the end of this month. This may give you a new option or drive down the price of CS2.

I'm not sure, but I think you may be able to upgrade from the student version to the non-education version for a lot less than actually buying the full version outright. I have seen many people actually recommend buying the student version and the upgrade together, because it's cheaper that way.

As for books, I don't know any specifically but there are plenty. Also, just Google 'Photoshop tutorials' and you will have several books worth of info. As you may have found, you sometimes run into problems because something is written for a different version than you have...but the basic tools and techniques are the same, and that's what you should concentrate on.

7. Digital Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Photoshop version X, or any other program will not make your pictures any better. Only you can do that. It's kind of like when people ask if they should buy a new camera, or a new lens. Is something lacking with your current setup that you need new equipment? I used photoshop 7 for years.

8. jerseygirl

jerseygirl TPF Noob!

the only new thing i'm doing is shooting RAW...

9. jerseygirl

jerseygirl TPF Noob!

good to know...

as for books, i like recs because for previous versions i have bought things blindly, only to find them completely useless...

10. Digital Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You don't need CS2 to process raw files. I don't use it for that. I prefer C1 LE. (www.captureone.com). Your camera should have come with software from the manufacturer to process raw also.

11. jerseygirl

jerseygirl TPF Noob!

i'll check that out, i have been using RawShooter essentials for now...

12. Digital Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is there something you don't like about Raw Shooter Essentials? I personally like that better than CS2.