Is school worth it?

bellacat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wildroseportraitphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have recently been looking into going back to school for my Masters of Fine Art in Photography. I currently have my BS degree in Graphic Design. I own my own design biz and would like to start a photography biz as well since i seem to do these both interchangeably quite often. I have been told that its a complete waste of my money unless I plan on going back into the corporate world to make the big bucks in a huge design firm. At the same time I have also been told that higher education is always good.

What are your thoughts?

Hi. I think you should just determine what your goals are and then you will know if you should go to graduate school. I'm about to graduate with a Bachelors in Fine arts and my teacher tells me I should go to graduate school so I can teach college someday, but thats not really what I want. I don't have the money for that anyways. I mean if it was something I decided I really wanted to do, then I would go for it, but right now I just want to see if I can make it on my own and get a graphic design job with a BFA.

I am under the impression that Masters of Fine arts degrees are the way to go if you want to be a college professor or a hot shot professional fine artist. If you want to start a photo biz, maybe you could do it without the extra degree. This is just my opinion, but good luck!:mrgreen:

I'm learning photography and have no clue but once I master it would be people care if I have a masters in photography? They could care less. However, answering your question. For the most part, people don't care where you went to school, or even if you graduated top of your class. All they want is results!

For example, my husband taught himself everything he knows about web design and marketing. he's the most sort out online marketer today. He speaks at conferences all over the world. People do NOT care! They just want results and in his ability to make them money.

He's gotten several offers from corporate companies wanting to take him on. (employment) Anyway, hopes that answer your question....

I think higher education is always a good thing to have, but it gives you no guarantee of a successful business. It's kind of like a rock star getting a masters in Music theory: maybe it would help but it's not really applicable. Either you're good or you're not. If you can swing it, sure, why not, but going to school full time with three kids is going to be harder than you realize. It's a huge sacrifice. And I'm not sure it's worth it (but it may be, who knows). I think your money and time would be better invested in some photography classes at the local JC, a nice camera and website for your business, and advertising. JMO.

Well any decent Master's program will expose you to experiences you just won't get in the real world. You will have access to some of the most modern equipment. You will meet other people (contemporaries) seeking out the same interest as you. You will learn alot of the rules, which makes them easier to break. You will really learn your craft, which in turn will make the business end much more manageable. You will flat out make yourself more marketable.

have a good one
3Eo

Well any decent Master's program will expose you to experiences you just won't get in the real world. You will have access to some of the most modern equipment. You will meet other people (contemporaries) seeking out the same interest as you. You will learn alot of the rules, which makes them easier to break. You will really learn your craft, which in turn will make the business end much more manageable. You will flat out make yourself more marketable.

have a good one
3Eo
this is what i think about every time the idea pops into my head that i want to go get my masters. If i could i would love to teach one day. Will i ever do it, i jsut dont know. I do know however that just having my BS degree in Graphic I can see the difference between myself jsut out of school being as green and green gets compared to someone who is self taught with just a few year experience. (I worked with several people like this in Los Angeles) and for some reason they were lacking skills that can only be taught in schoool. that is not to say i thought of myself as being better than them, by all means no but I knew that in the long run it would take me less time to advance in the company becuase I had that leg up.

Sure no one is going to care if i have my masters or not when it comes to clients. They will come to me for my work and not what education i have. I'm more concerned about the the knowledge to be learned by getting my masters as compared to learning skills on my own or by taking classes in a JC. Is there truly an advantage of pursuing a higher education vs learning on my own?

It may depend on what you want! And also on the school where you want to go. If you are interested in academic pursuit, degrees etc, school may be generally worth it. If potogrpahy is a passion, school is not necessary to make it big in this field!
http://budding-nature-photographer.blogspot.com

Beck,

My opinion...I don't think having a master's in photography makes you a better photographer. Perhaps, you may feel you need the education as part of a self accomplishment.
I'm sure there are several photographers on this forum that have taught themselves without stepping their foot into any classroom...AND will run circles around those that have gone to school all day long.

Like anything else, you get your experience from work. Regarding the indivduals that you worked with that didn't have the education you spoke of, perhaps they just weren't cut out for that type of work. Don't get me wrong, education is very important. The bottom line is...potential clients just want results, they could care less about your background.

It sounds like you are really battling with the idea of school or not. Have you considered taking some workshops or online classes in photography?

If you can do it, go to school, study as hard as you can and learn as much as you can to become as good as you can. Competition's tough. If you want to compete you'll need every edge you can get.

Most reactions

Back