Is shooting in "P" mode ok?

mrshaleyberg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm still learning about how to shoot in Manual..

Shooting in "P" mode all you have to change is ISO and the camera automatically does the f/stop and shutter speed. Is this better than shooting in Auto?

instead of trying to shoot in M, shoot in Aperture or Shutter priority, you learn far more doing that than you will shooting in P (which is a glorified auto) and stands in as the auto in pro-sumer dslr (im certain of) and higher end models (assuming they have a P)..

learn the influence the aperture number (f-stop) and the shutter speed have on your images, with those two nailed down, you can move onto M (even then M is usually only used when aiming for a specific effect where A and S would not work to achieve it).

i shoot in P when shooting outdoors using fill flash sometimes. also when im walking around with my camera i keep it on P so that if something comes along to where i would need to take a pic and fast its already set up. i wont have to worry about if the settings are right to get the pic. i use A, S, and M when i am taking planned shots.

bhee makes a good point that i forgot to realise. as a walk-about setting P is great. but if you really want to get the hang of M, rather fiddle with A and S mode as using P wont help you understand it any better as you're not really in control of the settings..

out of topic: bhee how did you get your D60 gripped?

Aperture priority is how I like to shoot when I don't want to think about shooting but you need to understand whats going on with the camera when you encounter different scenarios.

I think it's important for people to play around with their camera and just take photos, nothing special just photos of anything. Try different ISOs, shutter speeds and apertures and see how photos come out. Pets, flowers, trees or really anything that doesn't move too much can be your subject.

P is okay is it is a "flexible" Programmed setting, which most are these days...it allows you to use one dial to select different equivalent exposures, thereby allowing you to select a faster shutter speed and a wider aperture for action-stopping, or a smaller aperture, like f/11 and a slower shutter speed for when you want greater depth of field.

With evaluative or matrix light metering in relatively simple exposure situations, you can shoot in P mode,and if the camera's LCD shows that the exposures are satisfactory, just continue using P mode until you learn how to shoot well in other modes. By "AUTO" mode I am assuming you mean the green-rectangle mode in Canon-speak, where you, the user can not make ANY changes, so yes, P or flexible Programmed automatic is better than the "idiot mode" or the "green rectangle" modes that most manufacturers have these days.

Sure it's ok if you want to turn your DSLR into an Instamatic or a Brownie.

If you really want to learn photography, get out of P mode so you can have control over what it is you're doing.

If you really want to learn photography, get out of P mode so you can have control over what it is you're doing.

P mode gives you way more control than Auto (green rectangle, or whatever you have). Instead of changing one aspect (aperture or shutter) and having the camera compensate for the other automatically, P lets you choose between equivalent exposure settings. Now, this might not be the case with anything but Canon (since I'm not sure if it works differently with other brands) but that is how it works with Canon.

Having said that, I rarely use P mode, and think that Aperture Priority is going to give you more bang for your buck. But it's incorrect to say that P mode doesn't give you any control, or makes your camera an automatic.

I would say not to worry about what mode you are shooting in until you pick up knowledge / book (Understanding Exposure for example) and learn the basics of what aperture, shutter and ISO do.

Once you understand the theory, then put it into practice using the M, A, T modes.

I would say not to worry about what mode you are shooting in until you pick up knowledge / book (Understanding Exposure for example) and learn the basics of what aperture, shutter and ISO do.

Once you understand the theory, then put it into practice using the M, A, T modes.

True. But how are you going to pick up any knowledge while shooting in P?

You need to learn how to build a word processor before you can write anything worthwhile. You need to learn how to wire a house before using indoor lights.

You must know how to take apart and build an engine before becoming a successful race car driver. You need to understand how to catch, behead,
gut,and pluck a chicken before you can make good fried chicken.

A real photographer coats his own glass plates, and does not rely on modern, sheet film. A real photographer knows how to set his exposures without the crutch of a light meter. We do not need built-in light metering. We don't need no stinking autofocus.

A few hundred thousand other similar phrases can be though of.

higher end models (assuming they have a P)..

I'm pretty sure they all have P mode.

On the higher end models, P mode is the only auto mode you will find.

I know on my 1N RS (which is kinda old now, but still pretty much the top-of-the-line 35mm SLR), the only modes I have are P, Av, Tv, M, and Bulb (which is really the same as M, just with the ability to go longer than 30 seconds).

It's useful for when you want to hand the camera to someone else and not worry about if they know how to change the settings ... other than that, I never use it.

I'm still learning about how to shoot in Manual..

Shooting in "P" mode all you have to change is ISO and the camera automatically does the f/stop and shutter speed. Is this better than shooting in Auto?

mrshaleyberg
Since you are still learning, using the 'P' mode is not a bad thing. One way to use it to your advantage, is to take the time to shoot in 'P' mode. While doing so, look at the settings the camera uses. Look at the image and then try to figure what you can do to improve the image - or to manipulate the camera to have the image come out the way you want it to.
It will take some time and effort on your part, so you will also need to have some patience. (Note-the image that you download onto your computer may not be what you thought you saw on your camera view, this is one of the reasons so many edit their images after shooting)

** you will make some mistakes during this process, just learn from those. Most of all have some fun and you will most likely learn how to become creative with your camera as well.

So I've taken like the last two hours shooting in "S" mode to see what I can come up with. Here is a picture I took in "S" mode..

My Son, Isaak
Isaak-4.jpg

S mode is for photos of Sons !

Most reactions

Back