Is Social Media Worth it?

Ume Images

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After years of capturing images for pure enjoyment, I decided to enter a collaboration and start UMe Images. We are very new to the business aspect of selling our photography. After setting up a website www.umeimages.com and a faa profile UMe Images traffic is trickling in. We decided to use social media such as instagram and facebook aggressively to generate for traffic. I am beginning to think that the energy spent "socializing" online may not be worth it. Anyone have any thoughts or advice on this? Should we focus our attention elsewhere?

It seems to work for some and not for others. I get very little benefit from social media, and use my facebook page almost exclusively as a quick & easy way to put images on line so that I can direct people to them if they want to see examples of my work. I wouldn't expect much if any return on time invested for fine art sales. You need to get big prints out where people can see them; any wall space from galleries to coffee shops to weekend art shows.

Depends on your style of photography and target market. Social media is just as important for me as my camera

Hugely important for me. Through Instagram and Facebook I've been offered quite a few paid gigs, sold prints, connected with others who want to attend my workshops, had companies like LeeFilters and others share my work, etc. It takes a while to build a solid following (I'm still trying to gain more and such), but it's been infinitely valuable. I've done more paid work through Instagram than my actual website so far.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back