Is something wrong with my lens?

At that ISO, you can't expect super high quality at 1:1 crop. But it would've been helpful if you uploaded a higher quality image because it looks like there are many jpeg artifacts that makes it hard, at least for me to tell what is from the camera sensor or from them compression algorithm.

I never really liked the 55-300, I think the 55-200 VR could achieve sharper results. I don't know, maybe I just had a superb copy when I owned that lens many years ago.

Here is a cropped 1:1 sharpened shot I took using my D610 and Nikon's 70-300 VR at 300mm, f8, 1/1000th and ISO 2500. Granted I have a full frame so I have a slight advantage, but your D5500 should be able to achieve similar results.

Capture.PNG

Its not the greatest, but its not horrible either. Remember, its cropped. This isn't even center sharpness, its near the edge of the frame but its still pretty decent. Nikon's 70-300 VR sweet spot I think is f/8, that's been my experience anyways.

To get really sharp clean images using these "slow" telephoto zooms, you need good amount of light and make sure its exposed properly.

I'm certainly not expert and I can only share what I know and what I've learned. Hope this helps.

This is what happens when you pixel peep :p

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Basically sounds like I need to revisit my comparison test shots for a real comparison test.

I know I can get images that are, to me, as sharp as I could ever want for my personal preferences, using the Sigma. https://goo.gl/photos/qvmHPTS5TXv2VMGL6

Someone suggested something like a streetsign; high contrast and stationary.

This was shot at 300 mm with the Tamron 70-300 mm VC, F 8.0, 1/500 shutter speed, ISO 450 using a Nikon D600.

223 by Todd Robbins, on Flickr
Wow brother, this eagle shot is nice, almost like its modeling for you, love the teasing look on its face, nice work bro! :)

Thanks GG. Really need to get a faster lens again, missing the 70-200 2.8, but have to admit the 70-300mm really does an outstanding job
I agree, that's amazing. How did you get so close, was the eagle in captivity?

I agree, that's amazing. How did you get so close, was the eagle in captivity?

This is actually a bird being helped by an organization called Raptor Recovery. He was injured, assuming they can rehabilitate him enough he'll be re-released into the wild.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Basically sounds like I need to revisit my comparison test shots for a real comparison test.

As was mentioned tripods will give you the best results at longer focal lengths and will eliminate variables such as camera shake, though admittedly when I test lenses myself I almost never use a tripod because it's not something I usually carry with me or use. Naturally if you use a tripod be sure to turn your IS off

I'm no pro, but all the three shots seem to be just slightly out of focus to me... You might wanna check this Matt Granger's VIDEO and give it a shot, probably... I hope it helps and you get your shots as you wish :)

So, even though my initial test wasn't great, I was thoroughly convinced my 55-300 lens was not producing sharp enough images. So much so I bought the Nikon AF-S 70-300VR to replace it, and here is a great side-by-side showing the huge difference, and the problems I was seeing with the 55-300.

300mm-sidebyside.png

So, even though my initial test wasn't great, I was thoroughly convinced my 55-300 lens was not producing sharp enough images. So much so I bought the Nikon AF-S 70-300VR to replace it, and here is a great side-by-side showing the huge difference, and the problems I was seeing with the 55-300.

300mm-sidebyside.png

Love that 70-300 VR.

Very nice! Thanks for posting this... Will be serving as a reference for future lens buying!

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back