Is Sony a good brand for DSLR's?

Back a few years I bought a Minolta Maxxum 9 to take on a trip The camera was used and a good deal. I also picked up some lenses. I waited and waited for minolta to come out with a digital camera (they were the last camera company to release a digital). I then heard that Minolta had merged with Konica, they came out with the Minolta/Konica Maxxum 7D and I bought one. I thought I'd use it for a while and when they came out with the K/M Maxxum 9D I'd get one. Sadly that never happened, Sony bought out K/M and came out with the A100.

I've been happy with my 7D and have only had one problem with it that Sony (through Precision Camera) repaired for free even though it was out of warrenty

At that time I heard that the K/M engineers were going to work for Sony. I don't know if they did.

I like the 7D and it's ease of use, a lot of the options that the 7D had were carried over to the Sony. As for lenses they are out there but they are also becoming a little pricey, especially the hi end lenses. There aren't a lot of used Sony lenses.

The thing that might leave you wanting with IS/VR/AS/whatever built into the body is that you can't actually see it happening (other than a little digital guide telling you that it's working). With Canon and Nikon where IS/VR is built into the lenses, you can see the frame becoming stabilized through the viewfinder.

The thing that might leave you wanting with IS/VR/AS/whatever built into the body is that you can't actually see it happening (other than a little digital guide telling you that it's working).

I've never found that to be much of an issue, since I tend to just pretend it doesn't exist at all, and do my best to stabilize the camera regardless of shutter speed, IS function, etc. That way, I'm pleasantly surprised when the shot turns out better than I expected.

Plus, I don't screw up with my film cameras by getting lazy about steady holds.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back