Is the 28-135 IS USM lense good?

250Gimp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there all.

I'm new to this forum as well as new to photography.

I am considering upgrading to a Canon 28-135 IS USM lense, as i don't use a tripod and prefer not to use the flash if I can help it. I was wondering if anyone here could give me their thoughts on this lense? I was also wondering if the front element on this lense rotates when zooming?

Thanks
CP

Welcome to the forum.

I have always heard that this was a good 'walk-around' lens for film EOS cameras. Since the explosion of digital...it doesn't seem to get talked about as much. It's a mid level lens. It's not a cheap kit lens...but it's no nearly as good as a top of the line L lens.

I'm not sure if the front element rotates or not. You should be able to Google it, to find out.

This is one of the older IS lenses....so I don't think the IS is quite as good as on the newer IS lenses...which are supposed to give about three extra stops of hold-ability.

Thanks for the reply Big Mike.

What would you consider a good IS lense now, not including the L lens as they our out of my price range.

The lens is really good... and not terribly far behind an L lens... the only issues I have with mine is that on Ai-Servo (which I use most of the time) the IS feels like it is stuttering... it isnt a problem I have ever seen reflected in my images... and is probably caused by the lighter weight and having IS... other than that I use this lens on both my 5D and 1D Mark II with absolutely no complaints... and when I need a short-midrange railroad lens I put this on sometimes before my 24-70L....

The front element does not rotate... but does extend when zooming.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back