Is the 50D's micro-adjustment for AF useful? You bet it is.

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I kept feeling like my 24-70mm f/2.8L was just a little off, but it wasn't enough to really cause me concern. Some images were spot on focus wise and others seemed ever so very slightly out of focus right where I wanted the focus to be (mostly noticeable at f/2.8 ).

So I downloaded a focus test, as a sanity check. Sure enough, the lens was ever so slightly (one micro-adjustment) front focusing.

IMG_4874.jpg

So I went into my 50D's menu system and brought up the micro-adjustment for the 24-70. I gave it one click of "back" adjustment and took another test shot.

IMG_4875.jpg

Bingo.

I had the same feeling about my 40D but I never tested it. It too was ever so slight, but I really didn't want to send it into Canon just to be sure. It really wasn't enough to be concerned about.

I would say the micro-adjustment of the 50D is well worth it.

Just one more reason I'm happy as a lark I upgraded. :)

wow! That is pretty cool!

Yeah, I thought it was really cool. :) It was off so little, even looking at the test picture I was thinking... "is it really off or is it just me". Then I made the adjustment and looked at the next pic and realized I wasn't nuts and the feature kicks butt! :)

That is indeed a great feature.

My only concern is: what if it was your lens that was out of alignment...do you have to re-adjust it when you switch lenses?

That is indeed a great feature.

My only concern is: what if it was your lens that was out of alignment...do you have to re-adjust it when you switch lenses?
Nope, the 50D remembers each lens you own and automatically adjusts the settings when you attach that lens. When I went into the menu and enabled the micro-adjustment feature, it asked me if I wanted to profile the attached lens. I told it yes, then it went to a new screen that showed the lens (EF 24-70 f/2.8L USM) and presented me with an adjustment bar.

DSC00174.jpg

Last edited:
Well that is uber cool. Damn....I need a 50D.

Well that is uber cool. Damn....I need a 50D.
Hehe, I suspect you have higher end equipment than my lowly 50D. :p

I just ran the same test on my EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM lens and it was spot on, no need for adjustment.

I'm all set.

Bring on the weekend! :)

That's right.

As much as I'd love some newer cameras, my 20Ds have been doing the job quite well for me so I haven't needed to upgrade (or haven't been able to justify the expense). Maybe this year if business is good.

That's right.

As much as I'd love some newer cameras, my 20Ds have been doing the job quite well for me so I haven't needed to upgrade (or haven't been able to justify the expense). Maybe this year if business is good.

Mike even the 40D is a HUGE upgrade to the 20D. I use the 40 as my main and my 20D as my backup (still a capable camera though) :)

I know...at times I'm seriously jonesing for a 50D or even a 40D. I was surprised that the 50D came out so early after the release of the 40D....so now I'm torn. The 40D is a great upgrade and can be had at a great price...but the 50D is the newer technology.

If I can secure a couple more bookings...I'll probably get something right away...but it's looking to be a slow year and with the new baby...money isn't exactly growing on trees these days :lol:

I've always had this image of mike wielding two 20D's at the same time, snapping pics old-west-showdown style.

I need to get out more.

Mike, the 5D MKII has that feature as well. That and you can shoot wedding between 3200 ISO and 6400 ISO...hint hint..

That and you can shoot wedding between 3200 ISO and 6400 ISO...hint hint..
Oh please, not you too? Another 50D basher...

I shoot wedding pics all the time at 3200 ISO. The pics look fine.

Here's one from last weekend.

weddingplanningguides.jpg

I forgot the :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back