Is the 70-200 2.8 all I need?

Tyguy35

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I am going back to Costa Rica march 1st. I am bringing my 70-200 2.8 and an 85mm macro. Is the 70-200 good enough for the trip. Will it be enough length? Can I just crop and keep the same qualityish.

I also bought a D700 I will be using. I find it over exposes the photo especially if I am tracking birds and I miss by that slight little bit. Is it just me or is that normal.

Tyler

Not sure if I will be able to fit a wide angle into my budget. I'm not much for landscape anyways. Mostly reptiles.

Not sure if I will be able to fit a wide angle into my budget. I'm not much for landscape anyways. Mostly reptiles.

That 70-200 might not get you close enough. Depending on the size of the reptile and distance from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also bought a D700 I will be using. I find it over exposes the photo especially if I am tracking birds and I miss by that slight little bit. Is it just me or is that normal.

Tyler

This could be the metering mode or exposure compensation setting.

Agree with Snowbear. Absent any exposure compensation you might have accidentally engaged on the camera, your metering is most likely the issue here. If you are spot metering your subject and your AF point goes off the target slightly, the camera will meter for whatever is behind it. If it's a dark backdrop, then the camera will try and make this 18% grey, lightening the exposure. Same too if you are in full matrix and the background is dark behind the subject.

Personally I prefer spot metering (if I don't use my Sekonic), and taking a test shot in aperture priority. If the exposure is good, then I switch to M mode and dial in the same ISO, aperture and shutter. It doesn't matter where I frame the subject matter in the image, or where the metering point is. So long as the light doesn't change dramatically, you're golden. This may be your best bet to solving exposure issues. Just remember to meter again if you change locations and the light alters significantly, otherwise you will definitely screw up exposure.

Haha yes snakes and stuff. I have been adjusting he meter into the negatives to compensate but I am going to go to my local camera store get them to look at it.

Tyler

Maybe see about finding a cheap 50 mm or less prime to fit in your budget. Even a kit lens would be better than nothing if you don't have any other options. The FOV on that 70-200 will be a bit long if you want to shoot anything that's not at a decent distance.

what happens when you dont want to shoot long?

Consider an inexpensive super zoom bridge camera as an alternative. Way less expensive than a new lens alone and compact enough to fit in most situations along with your DSLR. Most manufacturers have at least one in their line.

The Canon SX 50 & SX60 are popular models for wildlife photography. The SX50 has a 24 to 1200mm zoom which will get you close to wildlife. It also incorporates a digital Teleconverter/Digital Zoom function which will double the zoom range to get you even more full frame images making the most of the small sensor's pixel count. The digital Teleconverter seems to operate with little sacrifice in overall image quality. As a macro camera/lens combination add a Raynox adapter and you will get some fairly astounding shots for very little money.

It's not always available on Canon's direct sales/refurbished line but I recently picked one up for $199. I intended to buy a day to day carry around camera to have rather than my DSLR and all the gear. Having used the SX50, I think I might just remove the macro, wide angle and telephoto lenses and all associated accessories from the DSLR bag and mostly just carry one prime lens for its use. At that price it is a relative bargain at either the macro or zoom end of the lens.

It has been replaced by the SX60 which provides even greater zoom power. However, the SX60 is selling at premium prices as a new model. The super zooms are virtually all small sensor cameras though and aren't your best option for all situations. Given good lighting conditions, they can turn out some rather surprisingly good images. Several options to consider from many manufacturers. Check out the SX50 threads on the "Canon" section of this forum. Lots of other information available on the Canons and their competitors through a simple search engine.

Best Superzoom 2014 Eight competitors 2.5 clear winners

Dat image quality... :Clown:

I'm not really afraid of the snakes or to get close to them. I own many reptiles at home. I have been studying venomous snakes for a few years have handled a few. I do need a 50mm or a lot lens though to even things out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back