Is the Canon SX10 IS a nice step up....

blondie621

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
from the A630? I will never be a pro and have only shot in the AUTO mode. However I would like to achieve better photos and learn more and maybe start a little photo business. Is the SX10 IS a good choice? I am looking for something that uses reg. batteries, has the flip screen and can shoot from the LCD. Is there a better camera choice?
Also if anyone owns the SX10 IS what are your thoughts!
Thanx in advance.....Donna

maybe start a little photo business.
If that really is your plan, then you should focus on learning about photography (and business) and forget about these little 'point & shoot' cameras....look for a DSLR.

Now, of course, it's the photographer that counts...not the camera...but there is little point in using gear that will only hold you back.

from the A630? I will never be a pro and have only shot in the AUTO mode. However I would like to achieve better photos and learn more and maybe start a little photo business. Is the SX10 IS a good choice? I am looking for something that uses reg. batteries, has the flip screen and can shoot from the LCD. Is there a better camera choice?

I can't comment on the move from an A630, but I have an S5 IS (the predecesor to the SX10) and the S5 is a great little camera. There are some Flickr groups dedicated to the S5 (and probably the SX10) and they are certainly capable of taking great shots.

I've since picked up a Rebel XSi but I still use the S5 when I need something small and quick.

BUT...if you're serious about ever starting a photo business I'd skip a P&S altogether and invest in an entry level dSLR like the Rebel. You'll get the experience of learning on a relatively inexpensive camera, and if you like it you can start building a collection of EF lenses and then if/when you decide you need to step up, you can pick up a full frame body and use your existing lenses.

I can't comment on the move from an A630, but I have an S5 IS (the predecesor to the SX10) and the S5 is a great little camera. There are some Flickr groups dedicated to the S5 (and probably the SX10) and they are certainly capable of taking great shots.

I've since picked up a Rebel XSi but I still use the S5 when I need something small and quick.

BUT...if you're serious about ever starting a photo business I'd skip a P&S altogether and invest in an entry level dSLR like the Rebel. You'll get the experience of learning on a relatively inexpensive camera, and if you like it you can start building a collection of EF lenses and then if/when you decide you need to step up, you can pick up a full frame body and use your existing lenses.

Thanx, I was looking at the Nikon DSLR's at Best Buy the other day and they are out of my price range right now. I would be getting the SX10 as a gift soon so there is a limit of like $350 being spent. I figured the SX10 IS would be a nice bridge camera to learn on for a year or so then save and step up to a Nikon D60 maybe. Plus the SX10 has that nice zoom lens. I think I will end up with one of the Nikon DSLR's by next year though! ;)
I was just wondering if there was a big difference in image quality between the A630 and the SX10.

I have the sx10is and love it. But if you are going to shoot in auto only don't waste your time. Those features are there for a reason, if you aren't using them you may as well just get the least expensive camera and be done with it.

I say this because whenever I show someone a pic of something they say "oh, you must have a nice camera". I look at theirs and it does the same thing mine does, ONLY THEY DON'T USE THE FEATURES!!!

I loaned my roommate my canonsx100is for an overseas trip cause she insisted it was better than her sony. She only shot in auto. She came back with the same kind of shots she gets with her sony. Never even bothered to look into the "P" button, never used the self timer, never changed the iso, in short, never tried any of the things I try when I take cool shots.

It's not that hard to read the book and experiement with the differant settings. I use the "P" mode the most. That way I can use the function menu which enables me to change the color, the size, use the +/- button, lock in the iso, ect.

The +/- button is underused by most P&S users. That's why so many pics have washed out highlights.

I used to have film SLR's and sometimes I am tempted to get a dSLR. Then I remind myself that I probably wouldn't go to the trouble of lugging it around. I have a lot of fun with the sx10is. Here are a few shots of mine

3528435865_bf9254ac88.jpg

3494309152_9dc93dacd9.jpg

3493491481_0c757553d5.jpg

These spiders were little babies, tiny like ticks!

3416275592_79acbd4255.jpg

this moon pic could never have been taken on auto.

maybe start a little photo business.
If that really is your plan, then you should focus on learning about photography (and business) and forget about these little 'point & shoot' cameras....look for a DSLR.

Now, of course, it's the photographer that counts...not the camera...but there is little point in using gear that will only hold you back.

If someone can't squeeze the most out of a point and shoot then a dSLR isn't going to matter. I'm not saying he shouldn't get one mind you, but someone only interested in shooting in auto only and not reading the manual or use the features is still going to be taking the same caliber pics. I see this all the time on these kinds of forums. Granted you will have room to grow but you have to be willing to learn.

Once you start a 'little photography business' you will be a pro. Then again, a 'little photography business" will only happen if you do as Mike suggested and learn about photography and business. Actually, the business part is more important than the photography part, if you hope the 'little photography business' to last more than just a couple of months.

Start now learning about the 3 elements of an exposure: Shutter speed, Aperture and ISO, and how they effect the control of lihgt and the compsition of an image.

Which camera you use it not that important right now. What's important is getting started on the road to learning photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back