Is The D300 Really THAT great?

Graelwyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have heard of some issues when using the 18-200mm VR lens...

I ask because I am now choosing between a D300 and a Canon 40D and want opinions.

All the reviews seem fantastic, but I hate the aesthetics of Nikon (not that that is important...)

Also, how well balanced is the camera. I find canon well balanced, but nikon...not so much so when held.

They are both fantastic. Choose the one that you like best.

yes, go hold the camera, get a sense for the feel , balance etc.

Both will make great images if you know how to control you tool.

I have heard of some issues when using the 18-200mm VR lens...

I ask because I am now choosing between a D300 and a Canon 40D and want opinions.

All the reviews seem fantastic, but I hate the aesthetics of Nikon (not that that is important...)

Also, how well balanced is the camera. I find canon well balanced, but nikon...not so much so when held.

Yes. The d300 is really that great. I wish mine had a little face so it would make more sense when I gave it a tiny-little kiss for doing a good job. :shock:

Sounds like you like the Canon though. I'm sorry. Go for it if that's what feels good.

Yeah, the D300 is a fantastic little machine, despite itself. The aesthetics are a bit lacking and the button layout is silly.

When I first got access to one, for the longest time, I couldn't figure out how to deactivate mirror lockup after someone had turned it on. That awkward button-locked turning-wheel mechanism which controls it is silly and hard to operate in the cold.

When reviewing images on the lcd, the thumb and index finger wheels become useless. They should instead scroll through the photos and zoom in. Instead, Nikon went and added two more superfluous buttons (The zoom in and zoom out buttons).

To this day, I cannot figure out how to access the "?" and "info" functions above the image lock button. Is there a control or shift key hidden somewhere on the body or something?

We finally got the 50mm 1.8 Nikon prime in the other day, and I was excited to try it out, so I popped it on the D300 and turned it on. Half an hour later, after much infuriating experimentation and digging through the menus, asking coworkers and googling, I finally figured out why the camera wouldn't take a damned picture; the aperture had to be at f16. What a pain.

Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful machine and it takes superb pictures. But I've never liked Nikon's aesthetics or ergonomic design choices.

well DUH

You have to put all your old skool AF lenses into the highest fnumber and lock em when you use them on the newer cameras such as out D300

30 mins eh? After 2 mins of messin around with my 50 1.4 I called my pal at the camera store where I had just bought the lens and he told me wot to do. :confused:

Another reason I don;t mind spending the extra dough at my local camera store to make most all of my purchases. :thumbup:

oh back to the OP....... yes the D300 is *that* good. Don;t believe all the horror stories to mean the ALL the D300s have this problem or that problem with this or that lens. I shot over 1200 images at the Monterey Festival of Speed a few weeks ago, and I use the 70-200 2.8, 300 2.8, 17-55 2.8 etc etc. Also the battery grip. I didn;t have ANY problems with the camera turning itself off or locking up or whatever and I was CONSTANTLY changing lenses.........

To answer your original question: YES.

However from what you said ^^, it appears your mind is already made up.

The aesthetics are a bit lacking and the button layout is silly.
Not if you shoot Nikon for long. You can also customize MyMenu to get to the feature/functions you need/want to have very quickly.

Yeah, the D300 is a fantastic little machine, despite itself. The aesthetics are a bit lacking and the button layout is silly.

When I first got access to one, for the longest time, I couldn't figure out how to deactivate mirror lockup after someone had turned it on. That awkward button-locked turning-wheel mechanism which controls it is silly and hard to operate in the cold.

When reviewing images on the lcd, the thumb and index finger wheels become useless. They should instead scroll through the photos and zoom in. Instead, Nikon went and added two more superfluous buttons (The zoom in and zoom out buttons).

To this day, I cannot figure out how to access the "?" and "info" functions above the image lock button. Is there a control or shift key hidden somewhere on the body or something?

We finally got the 50mm 1.8 Nikon prime in the other day, and I was excited to try it out, so I popped it on the D300 and turned it on. Half an hour later, after much infuriating experimentation and digging through the menus, asking coworkers and googling, I finally figured out why the camera wouldn't take a damned picture; the aperture had to be at f16. What a pain.

Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful machine and it takes superb pictures. But I've never liked Nikon's aesthetics or ergonomic design choices.

Like it was said. You lock it on highest aperture. Once you this the camera now controls the aperture and not that ring.

Heh, not stuck on canon, no.
In fact, my friend has bid on a D300 with lenses for me. If I don't get along with it, I can always sell later.

I did have a D200 before, but I found it hard to get straight horizons with it, whereas I find that easier with the Canon...oddly. Maybe I just need a battery grip to bring more balance or somesuch. Or a spirit level.

Yes, the D300 is that good, so, by all accounts is the Canon. The different pros and cons will appeal to different people.

Drew, those functions are enabled depending on what is displayed on your rear LCD; if there is nothing there and you press 'Info', you'll get all of the metering/exposure info.

The aesthetics are a bit lacking and the button layout is silly.
Not if you shoot Nikon for long.
But you see, that's my point. You shouldn't have to spend all this time learning the interface. It should just be intuitive. There shouldn't have to be much thinking and problem solving in order to change from one mode or setting to the next. It should just flow with minimal effort. (*cough* the K10 and K20 are like that *cough*). I'm not trying to start a war or anything, I love the capabilities of the D300 and even the D80 and I contemplate switching often. I'm just stating objective truths about these cameras.

Drew, those functions are enabled depending on what is displayed on your rear LCD; if there is nothing there and you press 'Info', you'll get all of the metering/exposure info.

Hmm, maybe you could clarify for me? If I have an image displayed on the lcd and I want to see the exif data, what button do I push to see it? If I push that "lock image" button, it locks the image, naturally.

The 18-200 is one big issue in itself IMO. You don't want it on you D300. It's like running a Ferrari on diesel.

I would make love to my D300 if it wouldn't indeed be a camera :lovey:
:er: maybe not...

At the end it all comes down to personal preferences... I personally can not get a grip with any Canon I've ever tried... I definitely like the asthetics of the D300 over 40D! I definitely prefer the command dials of the Nikon over the Canon - I like the front one being where it is on the Nikon and not on top of the camera like on Canon. Also if I'm not completely mistaken Canon only has 1 dial over Nikons two? Into my small hand D300 fits like a glove! :D Like said... all down to personal preference and feel.

Only real usage issue with the D300 I have come across with is the multi selector button which feels a bit flimsy (much preferred the one in e.g. D200)... though by now I've got used to it.

What issues are you talking about the 18-200 + D300. Only issue is the 18-200... it really isn't that great of a lens when it comes to quality - sharpness especially. I have this lens though I'm not using it that often - only when want to travel light and are not after any specific shots.

If you ask my oppinion I would say that the D300 has better quality pictures than 40D (though this is much reflected by the lens used of course) and the low light performance of the D300 is really on the level above 40D.

If I have an image displayed on the lcd and I want to see the exif data, what button do I push to see it? If I push that "lock image" button, it locks the image, naturally.

Now, I can not remember the default setting... but I get the EXIF data by pressing the multi selector button up or down. Maybe you have to set this up from the playback menu... it could be that on default it only shows the histogram. I dont have my camera on hand to try it out now.

Ok, so if I had to go for a set of lenses with the d300, which out of the following would be the best until I can afford better glass?

18-55 f3.5-5.6 ED-afs DX + 70-300mm f4-5.6 G Af zoom nikkor

OR

18-200 vr

OR

nikkor 18-135 F3.5-5.6 G Ed-If AFs + 70-300mm

Most reactions

Back