Is The D300 Really THAT great?

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Graelwyn, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Graelwyn

Graelwyn TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have heard of some issues when using the 18-200mm VR lens...

I ask because I am now choosing between a D300 and a Canon 40D and want opinions.

All the reviews seem fantastic, but I hate the aesthetics of Nikon (not that that is important...)

Also, how well balanced is the camera. I find canon well balanced, but nikon...not so much so when held.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They are both fantastic. Choose the one that you like best.

3. Rogan

Rogan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yes.

4. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yes, go hold the camera, get a sense for the feel , balance etc.

Both will make great images if you know how to control you tool.

5. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes. The d300 is really that great. I wish mine had a little face so it would make more sense when I gave it a tiny-little kiss for doing a good job. :shock:

Sounds like you like the Canon though. I'm sorry. Go for it if that's what feels good.

6. Dubious Drewski

Dubious Drewski TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, the D300 is a fantastic little machine, despite itself. The aesthetics are a bit lacking and the button layout is silly.

When I first got access to one, for the longest time, I couldn't figure out how to deactivate mirror lockup after someone had turned it on. That awkward button-locked turning-wheel mechanism which controls it is silly and hard to operate in the cold.

When reviewing images on the lcd, the thumb and index finger wheels become useless. They should instead scroll through the photos and zoom in. Instead, Nikon went and added two more superfluous buttons (The zoom in and zoom out buttons).

To this day, I cannot figure out how to access the "?" and "info" functions above the image lock button. Is there a control or shift key hidden somewhere on the body or something?

We finally got the 50mm 1.8 Nikon prime in the other day, and I was excited to try it out, so I popped it on the D300 and turned it on. Half an hour later, after much infuriating experimentation and digging through the menus, asking coworkers and googling, I finally figured out why the camera wouldn't take a damned picture; the aperture had to be at f16. What a pain.

Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful machine and it takes superb pictures. But I've never liked Nikon's aesthetics or ergonomic design choices.

7. Bevel Heaven

Bevel Heaven TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well DUH

You have to put all your old skool AF lenses into the highest fnumber and lock em when you use them on the newer cameras such as out D300

30 mins eh? After 2 mins of messin around with my 50 1.4 I called my pal at the camera store where I had just bought the lens and he told me wot to do. :confused:

Another reason I don;t mind spending the extra dough at my local camera store to make most all of my purchases. :thumbup:

oh back to the OP....... yes the D300 is *that* good. Don;t believe all the horror stories to mean the ALL the D300s have this problem or that problem with this or that lens. I shot over 1200 images at the Monterey Festival of Speed a few weeks ago, and I use the 70-200 2.8, 300 2.8, 17-55 2.8 etc etc. Also the battery grip. I didn;t have ANY problems with the camera turning itself off or locking up or whatever and I was CONSTANTLY changing lenses.........

8. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To answer your original question: YES.

However from what you said ^^, it appears your mind is already made up.

Not if you shoot Nikon for long. You can also customize MyMenu to get to the feature/functions you need/want to have very quickly.

9. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Like it was said. You lock it on highest aperture. Once you this the camera now controls the aperture and not that ring.

10. Graelwyn

Graelwyn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Heh, not stuck on canon, no.
    In fact, my friend has bid on a D300 with lenses for me. If I don't get along with it, I can always sell later.

I did have a D200 before, but I found it hard to get straight horizons with it, whereas I find that easier with the Canon...oddly. Maybe I just need a battery grip to bring more balance or somesuch. Or a spirit level.

11. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, the D300 is that good, so, by all accounts is the Canon. The different pros and cons will appeal to different people.

Drew, those functions are enabled depending on what is displayed on your rear LCD; if there is nothing there and you press 'Info', you'll get all of the metering/exposure info.

12. Dubious Drewski

Dubious Drewski TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    But you see, that's my point. You shouldn't have to spend all this time learning the interface. It should just be intuitive. There shouldn't have to be much thinking and problem solving in order to change from one mode or setting to the next. It should just flow with minimal effort. (*cough* the K10 and K20 are like that *cough*). I'm not trying to start a war or anything, I love the capabilities of the D300 and even the D80 and I contemplate switching often. I'm just stating objective truths about these cameras.

Hmm, maybe you could clarify for me? If I have an image displayed on the lcd and I want to see the exif data, what button do I push to see it? If I push that "lock image" button, it locks the image, naturally.