Is The D300 Really THAT great?

Points in random order:

I find it really weird that the D300 lacks some features present in the D40; On the D40 the thumb wheel can be used for scroling through photos, and the camera itself tells you how to set the lens if it isn't at the maximum aperture already.

Nikons fit perfectly in my hand and their functions are tottaly intuitive - everything is in the right place. You can use 90% of the functions with the press of a single button, and that's on the limited and lacking buttons D40. Other brands have confusing menus, crap button layout and a certain brand has an awful shutter button, at least on their cheaper models. The moral here is: Different cameras for different people, so do not rely on forums to find which one suits you, you need to go out and try them yourself.

The D300 will take awesome photos, just like many other cameras out there. Reviews do say that it leads the competition in certain areas, notably low lighting performance. According to all the reviews, the D300 is by far the best camera for the money right now. Next year it will be it's rival from Canon, and so on. Of course any special needs override that, get what is the best for you.

The issue with the 18-200 VR is that it is supposed to be the ultimate walkaround lens, not a high quality studio lens. It's a tradeoff, if you need this range the lens is the best in the world (i think Sigma also has a 18-200mm model, don't know about them), if you don't need it, most other lenses offer better quality. Again it is something that you need to try out, because it might be just fine for you, as it is for many photographers including pros.

As for lens choice... if you know that you will be getting better glass soon, get the 18-135mm and save your money, or at least get one lens at a time and see exactly what you need before deciding on the next one.

I hope some of this helps :).

Well given that list the 18-200 probably is a good choice. But if you intend on getting some better lenses later a cheaper option may be the better choice for now. Brings the new glass closer :)

I find it really weird that the D300 lacks some features present in the D40; On the D40 the thumb wheel can be used for scroling through photos, and the camera itself tells you how to set the lens if it isn't at the maximum aperture already.

Hit the zoom button (this won't zoom in unless you actually hold it and turn the thumb wheel) volah you can browse through your photos with your thumbwheel. This is mentioned in the manual.

The D200/D300 displays F-- blinking. The description of this is repeated no less than 3 times in the D200 manual (Aperture section, lens compatibility section, and in troubleshooting).

I guess the only features it's lacking is baby coddling those who can't read ;) But in reality the camera itself is so very feature rich and complex that people should be mailed the manual 4 days in advance of buying it. It's a pity people don't read it, well I guess just as well or the photo forum would have a lot less members :lol:

It's a pity people don't read it, well I guess just as well or the photo forum would have a lot less members :lol:
Well, you must admit that the Nikon manual is a bit of dry reading. However, I also got Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D300 and will say that I have reaped a great deal more information on functions/features, the why's and when's than with the owners manual.

Ok, so if I had to go for a set of lenses with the d300, which out of the following would be the best until I can afford better glass?

18-55 f3.5-5.6 ED-afs DX + 70-300mm f4-5.6 G Af zoom nikkor

OR

18-200 vr

OR

nikkor 18-135 F3.5-5.6 G Ed-If AFs + 70-300mm

The image quality of these lenses rated as:

18-55 rated-----7.5
18-200 rated----8.3
18-135 rated----9.3
70-300 rated----9.0
16-85 rated----10.0
24-70 rated----10.0

To this day, I cannot figure out how to access the "?" and "info" functions above the image lock button. Is there a control or shift key hidden somewhere on the body or something?

I think if you hit the "?" twice that is what the flashing "?" is all about. Put it simply once the user manage to access the box area by hitting the "?" twice than he/she is regarded as "in the know" guy, because the flashing stop right away.

We finally got the 50mm 1.8 Nikon prime in the other day, and I was excited to try it out, so I popped it on the D300 and turned it on. Half an hour later, after much infuriating experimentation and digging through the menus, asking coworkers and googling, I finally figured out why the camera wouldn't take a damned picture; the aperture had to be at f16. What a pain.

Mine was set at f22 right from the box and there is an instruction as well to set it at f22.

Just now I set the lens at f16 (lock disabled automatically) and the lcd screen states:
! Lock lens at minimum aperture (largest f/-number).

I assume your 50mm minimum aperture is f16, therefore it is an old lens.

Yes, the D300 is just that good. I love mine.

I did have a D200 before, but I found it hard to get straight horizons
with it, whereas I find that easier with the Canon...oddly. Maybe I
just need a battery grip to bring more balance or somesuch. Or a
spirit level.
I'd suggest turning on the grid lines, rather than adding a battery grip.
When you'll get used to the camera, you wont need the grid anymore.

It's Nikons' best ever (second only to the D3 larger sensor [same
pixel count] and very few other options, mainly the 2 card slots).

'Canon' who? :sexywink:

Hit the zoom button (this won't zoom in unless you actually hold it and turn the thumb wheel) volah you can browse through your photos with your thumbwheel. This is mentioned in the manual.

See, that makes more sense :) (my post was in reply to Dubious Drewski's). Is this similar to the D200?

Well, you must admit that the Nikon manual is a bit of dry reading. However, I also got Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D300 and will say that I have reaped a great deal more information on functions/features, the why's and when's than with the owners manual.

Oh yeah what manual isn't. It isn't really best seller stuff. I do agree though on those guides, there was another one though which will probably come to me when I forget about this thread which was really good and took you through all the fancies of the D80 and D200.

See, that makes more sense :) (my post was in reply to Dubious Drewski's). Is this similar to the D200?

Yep identical.

I'd suggest turning on the grid lines, rather than adding a battery grip.

I totally missed Graelwyn post. Yes a lot of owners do not realise this (again manual problem, if you read it you unlock a whole new world). But when a 350D friend and I bought Katz eyes screens he couldn't figure out why I bought mine without a grid, then started salivating when I showed him the LCD overlay grid in the viewfinder. This thing should come turned on by default. I think I turned it one a day after I got the camera and haven't turned it off since.

Now, I can not remember the default setting... but I get the EXIF data by pressing the multi selector button up or down. Maybe you have to set this up from the playback menu... it could be that on default it only shows the histogram. I dont have my camera on hand to try it out now.
Playback menu -> Display Mode (I have all unselected and I get the EXIF info to gether with histogram in one screen)
Then the multi selector button shows the selected info - you can set the multi selector button directions for this in the Custom Setting Menu f3.

...P.S. read the manual... I know it's booring... but it helps :mrgreen:

I have heard of some issues when using the 18-200mm VR lens...

I ask because I am now choosing between a D300 and a Canon 40D and want opinions.

All the reviews seem fantastic, but I hate the aesthetics of Nikon (not that that is important...)

Also, how well balanced is the camera. I find canon well balanced, but nikon...not so much so when held.

I would never tell you what brand to choose but do not judge the D300 on that POS lens. Thats like going out to buy a Porche and not buying it because it someone got a bad ride in it after they bought wheels at Wal-mart for it.

Most reactions

Back