Is the new Rebel XSi really as good as it sounds?

You're dead wrong about sports photogs and the D40. All I need to say is 1/500s flash sync and high ISO performance that holds its own and you've instantly got a great budget sports camera or backup rig to a pro body. Not even the pro bodies do 1/500s flash sync. :cool:

He's not dead wrong, in fact he has some good points.

There are sports photogs out there who would KILL for 1/500s flash sync capabilities, and the D40 is the only DSLR on the market right now that can do that that I'm aware of. So no I don't think they'd consider it a joke. That was my only point on that. Yes it still shoots slowly for sports, but that's not always the most important factor.

Well, I would have to disagree with you partially for the first time, Mav, about the class-jumping thing. I think that amongst all of the "main" classes (webcam, P&S, crop DSLR, full-frame DSLR), there are many sub-classes (ameteur, semi-semi pro [D60, XSi], semi-pro, pro) that, depending on the circumstances, can make minute or colossal differences.

For instance, if I upgraded to a D300, I think my photographs would improve quite a fair bit (but of course, not as much as skill would improve them) from stuff like the improved FPS (better for my RC photos), more pixels (RC photos again, but being able to crop more) and less shutter lag (OK, I'm not exactly hating my D40 for its 90-millisecond shutter lag xD), whereas if I upgraded to a D80, they would improve a little bit.

If I "upgraded" to a D60, however, I get the feeling my photography skill might go DOWN from pi**ing about with tiny little features like live view and Active D-lighting. Sure, they're sometimes handy, but it takes away from what photography is really about: you taking a great photo.

Wow, has this topic ever strayed off the beaten path... lol.

Is the XSI better than a XTI? Yes.

Is it worth it to sell an XTI and get the XSI? If YOU feel that the improvements that it offers are targeted in the areas that would assist you in getting better results, yes. If you have the money to blow, yes.

If I was in this situation, are the features earth shattering enough to warrant an upgrade from an XTI to the XSI? Not really, but I am a hard case. If I upgrade, I want a true upgrade without needing the pressure of succumbing to marketing hype to upgrade with each generation.

It's not exactly the same, but I have a D200 and will not upgrade to a D300, and there are some pretty significant improvements there. I do not feel it is worth the money at all. If I upgrade, it will possibly be to a D400 or more likely a D3.

When I upgrade, I *upgrade* for my money... lol.

There are sports photogs out there who would KILL for 1/500s flash sync capabilities, and the D40 is the only DSLR on the market right now that can do that that I'm aware of. So no I don't think they'd consider it a joke. That was my only point on that. Yes it still shoots slowly for sports, but that's not always the most important factor.

Actually, the Canon 1D OG, Nikon d40, d70, and d50 can all sync 1/500. In fact, they can sync 1/8000 or whatever their maximum shutter speed is limited too.

But depending on the sport, flash sync doesn't mean anything. High shutter speed often means a lot. 3fps vs. 5fps vs. 10fps. That can really matter.

Well, I would have to disagree with you partially for the first time, Mav, about the class-jumping thing. I think that amongst all of the "main" classes (webcam, P&S, crop DSLR, full-frame DSLR), there are many sub-classes (ameteur, semi-semi pro [D60, XSi], semi-pro, pro) that, depending on the circumstances, can make minute or colossal differences.
That's true. :) Yes if you need to capture action at a precise moment or need to completely change up your shooting mode very quickly like at a wedding, then the 8 FPS and all of the direct access controls of the D300 along with shooting banks that you can pre-program can make a huge difference for sure. From a D40 to a D300 though, these cameras are really all in the same league in terms of the overall quality of photos that they can produce. If you're not particular to needing specific body based capabilities like those though, there's not much reason to spend twice or even three times as much on a D300 over the lower end stuff. The money would be much better spent on some lighting equipment, or some nice lenses, all of which will hold their value a lot better than camera bodies will anyways.

Actually, the Canon 1D OG, Nikon d40, d70, and d50 can all sync 1/500. In fact, they can sync 1/8000 or whatever their maximum shutter speed is limited too.

But depending on the sport, flash sync doesn't mean anything. High shutter speed often means a lot. 3fps vs. 5fps vs. 10fps. That can really matter.
That's why I said "on the market right now". :wink: Either can matter a lot.

Isn't d300 full frame and d40 cropped? Isn't d300 weather sealed and d40 not? Isn't d300 pro body and d40 amateur?

No. The D3 is. It's $4000

Nope, it's still 1.5x. The only full-frame DSLR Nikon makes atm is the D3, although a Canon 5D equivalent is expected within a year or two, probably starting at north of $3000 (US). The D3 is $5000 (US)

How I ended up with two bodies is a bit of a long story, but to make a long story short, I really don't need two, and if I were to sell one of the two it would be the D80, leaving myself with just the D40. It's smaller, cheaper, lighter, sharper, faster, easier to adjust, has faster flash sync, cleaner high ISO, and I'd never miss any of the "extras" on my D80 that for the most part have been completely meaningless for my type of photography. I'd sell my D80, but its used value has depreciated enough by now that it's no longer worth it to me to sell it. Might as well just keep it. A year ago I could have gotten $800-900 whereas today it's only worth $500-600. I could have bought some kickass glass last year if I'd sold it for $900, and the glass would still be worth the same $900 today rather than dropping to $500-600 like my D80 has. Glass is always the much better investment. I do shoot corporate events and weddings from time to time, and occasionally shoot in harsh conditions where you really don't want to be switching lenses. For that stuff, having a 2nd body is a huge help, and that's really the only reason I'm keeping it. My D40 is my primary and my D80 is my backup. :)

I'm only a minimalist when it comes to bodies. After getting my first pro lens, now I'm ruined and I want MORE. I see that Keith got the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS. I wonder what he thinks of it? I bet it's awesome. Forget bodies and get some kick ass lenses instead.

A buddy of mine is a true minimalist. He has a D50, an 18-55 kit lens, and a 50mm f/1.8 and takes tons of great photos with that setup.

High shutter speed often means a lot. 3fps vs. 5fps vs. 10fps. That can really matter.

When my dh found out about the xsi he asked if I was interested in an upgrade from the xti. After explaining the specs I told him that it wasn't worth it...for me. If I was just now looking for my first DSLR, I would strongly consider the xsi. However, the buffer is too small for my liking, the rest of the specs aren't a big enough improvement for me to justify the price tag (after buying the xti a only year and a half ago at $900 with kit lens), and changing to new batteries and memory is a problem for me.

I'm sure anyone who decides to buy the xsi will be as happy with their camera as I am with my xti. But if I were going to upgrade at this point, I'd certainly pass on the xsi and get a 30D or 40D.

JMO :)

How big of an impact is memory and batteries though? I got my 8 gig card for 100 bucks.

Chances are the next big brother to the XSi will have the same change.

One thing I have noticed is that because the XSI is so widely available and at a discount in a few places, the used prices of XTI's has gotten a bit more reasonable.

Most reactions

Back