Is the Nikon 55-200mm a wise purchase for a newbie?

no.guru

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have used an SLR before, a Pentax K-1000, mostly for snapshots. So I'm not a total noob to photography.

When ordering the Nikon D40, I ordered the package with the Nikon 55-200mm lens. The order was placed yesterday so I could return it unopened if needed.

Was this a wise purchase? Opinions wanted.

Edit: Typo. Thanks, Sherman.

Last edited:
I have used an SLR before, a Pentax K-1000, mostly for snapshots. So I'm not a total noob to photography.

When ordering the Pentax D40, I ordered the package with the Pentax 55-200mm lens. The order was placed yesterday so I could return it unopened if needed.

Was this a wise purchase? Opinions wanted.

I think you've got your brands mixed up here. Pentax doesn't make the D40, Nikon does. If you ordered the Nikon lens to go with the Nikon body, sure it's a good lens for a noob. If you ordered a Nikon lens for a Pentax body, you're going to be disappointed.

i imagine that was just a typo...
but yes it's a decent lens to have. i have the non VR version of it, and use it every once in awhile...it could use the VR at the longer end of the zoom, but for the price, it;s a nice lens to have.

The 55-200 VR is underrated and most definitely at the top of the class of the "hobbyist" entry level lenses.

I have the 55-200 mm lens for the D40 and I love it! I use that lens more than the 18-55 mm lens that came with the D40.

I've had the same question that this person has except I have been considering the 18mm-135mm lens so I wouldn't have to switch in between the two lenses. what do you guys suggest?

The 55-200 VR is underrated and most definitely at the top of the class of the "hobbyist" entry level lenses.
VR and IS are more my concerns. Specifications for the lens I ordered say nothing about VR or IS, so I assume it doesn't have them.

It would be better to have them than not, but how much, if any, would a newbie be using these features? I suspect the answer, for me, is not enough to justify the extra expense.

My camera is due this week!

Edit: typo

I've had the same question that this person has except I have been considering the 18mm-135mm lens so I wouldn't have to switch in between the two lenses. what do you guys suggest?

The 18-105VR or the 18-200VR would be my pick over the 18-135.

Also, for the post above... unless your camera is connected to a tripod for all your long shooting you'll want VR in my opinion.

Also, for the post above... unless your camera is connected to a tripod for all your long shooting you'll want VR in my opinion.
In that case, I will plan on taking my tripod with me. I got the combination D40 with stock lens and 55-200mm lens new for $550 postage paid - and it will be here in 2 days. I saw one other deal which also included a couple of minor accessories, but the shipment wasn't as good and the extra lens was what I wanted anyway.

Thank you all for your comments!

Most reactions

Back