Is there a D300 thread not?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Sweetsomedays, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Sweetsomedays

Sweetsomedays TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    No WOOHOO!

So far, my review of it is....it's heavy. :lol:
    Seriously I will come back later when I have had time to play with it. Till then post!

2. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You got your D300 already? That's GREAT news! The D3 can't be far behind in the pipeline! (rubbing hands together in anticipation, waiting with baited breath)

3. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can't wait to get mine, but Nikon Canada has not released it yet. I hope next week

4. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you think the D300 is heavy, try lugging around a D200 with the MB-D200, a 70-200VR lens and a SB-800 on top of that... lol.

Congrats on the D300... so when are you going to post a few low light - high ISO high res pictures for us to look at?

Seriously, for me there was not enough of a difference to consider the upgrade to a D300, especially since my camera has less than 10,000 shutter releases and is under 5 months old. I'm honestly good until the next generation and at that time, I will consider either the D300's replacement, or more likely the D3's replacement.

5. JerryPH

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh it is released here alright. It is just a question of how far down the list you are depending on when you ordered it.

The first 20 D300's were delivered to their new homes yesterday at Simon's Cameras here in Montreal. Talk about 20 very happy people!

6. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yep I've lugged that combination before. It is a right royal PITA. The D300 is not a D200 upgrade by any stretch though. Just like no Canon 30D user should buy a 40D. It's the same camera with marginal improvements. Not the next model up.

7. JerryPH

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ...but you haveto admit, there are more than just a few improvements, some not all that marginal.

On the flicker D200/D300 site one D200 user posted head to head shots of the same object with the same lens minutes apart... low light, high ISO. Bloody impressive. Our ISO 1600 is near useless... where on the D300 it's ISO 1600 is closer to our ISO 400 level of noise. That alone is enough reason for some to upgrade. There is a plethora of other improvements that are worthy of mention too... huge decrease in focus times, 51 zone AF, and on and on and on... lol.

Its not just a couple of small changes, there really are a lot of improvements and advancements. Though the D300 is not for me, I don't feel it is just a marginal upgrade, but a worthy successor to the D200. How worthy, well time will tell, but so far the first ones who have them or tested them just prior to release were all pleasantly srprised and very happy with them.

8. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i'm gonna upgrade from a d200 to 300 . . . bc selling my d70s and d200 pay for it, and i'm worried the d70 won't hold value much longer, so why not.

9. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Congrats Sweetsomedays!!!!!

Just for future reference, will all the lenses/flashes I have for my D80 work on the D300?

10. Sweetsomedays

Sweetsomedays TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My 50mm is so much better on the 300 then the 80. I was having trouble when I moved my focus point around but it doesn't seem to matter where I put it on the 300, still crisp. Flashs working just fine. Got um all synced up just to test it out :).

Here are some pics. Don't mind my subject matter. It was play time before lights out for our kids so I took what I could get.

ISO 2000 ceiling fan light on. It's one of those coily power saving ones.
    [​IMG]

ISO 3200 same light
    [​IMG]

ISO 3200, ceiling fan light off. Just the bedside light which is almost half as strong as the ceiling fan (specific, aren't I? lol)
    [​IMG]

ISO 4000, bedside light
    [​IMG]

11. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh F*** Me. The ISO's and images are superb for 'playing around'. I'm so jealous. Maybe next year for me.

Is the thick manual the English version?

12. Sweetsomedays

Sweetsomedays TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yuppers, english.