Is there a difference?

I agree wholeheartedly with this which goes much deeper than what I felt was appropriate for posting.
GHK

Yeah, I left out a lot of it too, one entire path. Didn't mention that before digital, "then color film came along, and really complicated the Zone System". :) (color differences, different ball games)

Precise exposure is a hard problem. Incident meters work well, easiest. But with camera meters, after avoiding clipping, then what looks right is really about the best plan. But regarding clipping, we always have to look at the three RGB histograms. The single gray histogram cannot show clipping, not right, if at all. The colors register differently, and then WB shifts red and blue oppositely, and we have to look at all three RGB histograms. See Surprises in the Use Of Histograms

But White Balance can actually be quite easy. Simply clicking a good WB tool on a good WB card (in the same light with subject) is trivial to do. The philosophy is that we know the card is neutral (equal RGB, so no color cast). Then after the computer makes that spot actually be neutral color, therefore no color cast in our image. Couldn't be any better, or easier.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back