Is there a future for SLT?

Well, more specifically, is it the future for Sony. Nikon and Canon are still thinking Grandma is going to want interchangeable lenses.

---

Why can't an NEX be as functional as an SLT? As far as I can tell the only advantage is fast AF. If that is solved, what purpose is an SLT? I get the advantages of optical finders (don't worry Skieur, I get the advantages of EVF as well), but clearly it seems Sony is getting away from that, so that's neither here nor there. My question is will Sony drop the mirror entirely.

The NEX body isn't as comfortable as a DSLR type body.

Viewfinder is a must for me.

The only reason Sony might keep the SLT is if it still cheaper than focal plane phase focusing. But even if the did, the camera would still look pretty much the same.

The NEX is certainly made to be compact, and I am pretty sure that the days of NEX without EVF are over. The next NEX 5 I am sure will have a viewfinder.

But I think if you incorporated a full frame sensor and a full, ergonomic grip - possibly a vertical grip as well, the NEX could be made into a very significant camera, reminiscent of the Mamiya 7 or Fuji GW. Currently there is a lot of direction towered Leica-wannabes. It doesn't seem that Sony is taking that direction.

EVF's still have a lag time and some other display issues. The lag prohibits the EVF from showing burst mode sequences in real time.

EVF technology has a ways to go yet, and cost may continue to be an issue. It is said Sony subsidizes the cost of it's SLT cameras.

You are talking about EVFs NOT SLTs. Optical viewfinders do NOT show 12fps burst shots in real time either, because they do not have that speed. As to really LOW light situations optical viewfinders show NOTHING in the viewfinder, while SLTs show an image in the viewfinder with noise. At least with an image you can compose, while with an optical viefinder you are totally shooting blind in extremely low light.

skieur

Well, more specifically, is it the future for Sony. Nikon and Canon are still thinking Grandma is going to want interchangeable lenses.

---

Why can't an NEX be as functional as an SLT? As far as I can tell the only advantage is fast AF. If that is solved, what purpose is an SLT? I get the advantages of optical finders (don't worry Skieur, I get the advantages of EVF as well), but clearly it seems Sony is getting away from that, so that's neither here nor there. My question is will Sony drop the mirror entirely.

NEX has the potential of having a good sized sensor on a Leica style rangefinder look camera. The disadvantage is the prospect of having large heavy lenses on a small camera. The problem with most digital lenses is the small magnification level of 1/3 or lower. A 200mm prime with a 1:1 magnification level for example is quite heavy and I could not picture such a thing on a NEX camera.

It would seem that a breakthrough in lens design and size would be necessary to make the NEX viable for former DLSR shooters.

skieur

Most reactions

Back