Is there a point teaching film photography any more

I avoided this thread for weeks. And i didn't even read anyone else's opinion because I have one and it might be mirrored elsewhere or not.

Can a man know to much about his craft. I don't think so. Does mom with her p&s digital camera need to know about film.... NO

Does a serious photographer need to know about all the tools that his craft has to offer .... yes..

Do film only shooters need to understand and be reasonably comfortable maniuplating digital images ..... yes...

So if you are serious about the craft you need to know about every tool out there period, no matter what it is.

Will one help with the other, of course it will... can you learn compositon on either... of course you can... Can you learn about lighting with either of course..... So do you need to know about film to shoot digital no... Do you need to know about film to understand images.... no...

But you do need to know about film if you want to know all there is about the craft...If you can't shoot either one, then you are only part of the complete photographer... Just my opinion of course....

It's like I said earlier somewhere, just because I got no use for digital cameras don't mean I cant use one. Everybody has to choose his own direction but why blow up a bridge along one road in the name of progress... so there will be a little grass on the road it still might go somewhere worth seeing. learn all you can file it away someday it will save your butt

As a 25 year member of the Law Enforcemnt Profession an a photographer for 30+ years I look at photographic training and Law Enforcemnt training the same way.

25 years ago I was taught to shot a 38 special Smith & Wesson Revolver. At that time I was underguned in both caliber and type of weapon, but that was what my department issued. When I graduated from Recruit school, I bought my first 357 Magnum. Still a revolver, but a real imporvement in caliber and stopping power. We have gone from the 38 Special to the 9MM to our present 40cal Glock.

Knowing that we were underpowered with a 38 special, we learned to shoot and shoot well. With only 6 rounds before having to reload you had to make every round count.

With the adopiton of a 17 round automatic Spray and Pray has started to become the norm. Spray and Pray is far to easy with a digital camera as well.

Film, like a 38 special teaches you to pay attention to details. You have to get the shot the first time. Basics are basics whether it is with a weapon or a camera. The skills of photography still need to be taught and film is the medium that teaches skills quickly.

My first camera was a digital P&S, I liked taking pictures and decided to step it up to a dSLR. Just this past week I busted out my dads old K1000 Pentax along with the 80-200mm 3.9-5.6 lense to shoot off a roll. Really if you shoot digital only borrow a friends camera and shoot a roll or two of film, it really helps to slow you down because you cant just click off a shot and delete it if it sucks. You learn to wait for the perfect moment (I was taking pictures of squirrels) before you click the shutter. Also you need to be aware of your lighting. on my *ist DL I shoot Ap just about always, so I dont normally worry about lighting. I became very aware of this shooting a full manual film camera because I couldn't just set my aperture (ring on the lens) and go, I had to change the shutter speed, and sometimes the aperture again because the camera would only go to 1/1000th so mid day shots needed f8 or more to be properly exposed on the ISO400 I was shooting. I loved it and personally will make it a point to shoot film on the full manual in the future.

Most reactions

Back