Is there an all around "Best Lens" for Sports Photography??

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by ottor, May 23, 2009.

1. ottor

ottor No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Regardless of price (OK, under $2K) is there a "Best" lens for photographing action sports - mainly outdoors? If I had a choice, I'd also want one that would be satisfactory for indoor B-Ball or Rodeo also... but specifically one that would capture the color and clarity of field sports...

Tks in advance....

2. farmerj

farmerj TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would have to ask what kind of sports?

For my daughters Marching band, I struggle with my 70-300. It's a poor lens I would say based on it's an f/4.5 lens to start at 70mm and goes to f/5.6 on the long end. I get a lot of noise in the pictures at 300 mm. It's pretty decent on stuff under 50-75 feet, but anything more, and the quality I think goes down.

I use a 50mm f/1.8 for shooting some indoor stuff, but would love to get (soon) the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for some of the stuff I do. My fixed lens just doesn't work for what I want under 15 feet.

Any sports lens I would suggest is f/2.8 or faster. Regardless of who makes it.

It's a combination of ISO, shutter and aperture that you need to either stop the blur and get crisp sharp stop-action shots, or else to deal with the action of what's happening.

It also will depend if you can use a flash. Most of what I shoot, flash is restricted completely or highly frowned upon.

3. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  4. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
  5. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Definitely not "hands down" if you haven't considered the type of sports photography. This is where "farmerj" is asking the right question. What type of sports? I had 100-400L and my cousin had my 70-200 f/2.8 IS at a Polo game. Definitely WAY too short for that size field. The fast aperture wasn't a big advantage in the bright daylight. Indoor basketball is a different story.

OP needs to realize that sports photography is about the most expensive and most depending type of photography you can get into to.

6. Blank

Blank TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    One of my favorite lens' for indoor and outdoor is the Canon f2 135mm. It is "the" best valued L lens in the Canon lineup. Around US$1,000

Indoor basketball, nothing beats the f1.8 85mm, in my opinion. Around US$350

Both lens' are versatile for indoor and outdoor. As good a lens as the f2.8 70-200mm is, it is bordeline useless indoor (for action sports) if lighting is not above average.

7. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

Basically you need two lenses.

With your budget I would look at a 70-200 f/2.8, and at the Sigma 50-500. Now the sigma would only be good for daytime sports outside. But it has a very good following. Also good for animals, birds, etc where you can't get that close.

The 70-200 f/2.8 for the indoor sports. They make primes that are faster and more usefull. But limits how much you can fill the frame with your subject.

Floor level flash is a no no, in indoor sports. So fast glass is necessary, unless you want to mount wireless flashes in the rafters (have enough of them).

I shot college sports for 2 years in college. I used 80-200 f/2.8 inside for basketball and volleyball. And a 300 f/2.8 and the 80-200 f/2.8 for football (my own lenses by the way).

8. Do'Urden's Eyes

Do'Urden's Eyes TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    OP did say best "all around" lens. So i would have to agree with bigtwinky that the best ALL AROUND sports photography lens would be a 70-200 F2.8. For sports (unless its motor sports) the IS shouldn't really be a huge issue as the shutter speeds youre using are going to render the stabilizer useless anyways. I say motor sports because i know canon (not sure about nikon) offers a "mode two" on its stabilizer that just stabilizes the camera shake on the vertical axis, making the blurred lines when panning as straight as possible.

9. farmerj

farmerj TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nikon has that seem feature on the VR option as well.

I actually turn off VR when I am taking panning or other shots I am typically following the action with.

About the only time I find it useful to use VR is when I am stalking wild game and it's a purposeful and intentional action to take a picture of an animal while handheld.

10. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    A 200-400mm on a D3 with a Tc 1.4 and 1.7 in your pocket.

A little over budget maybe but there you are..

11. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    For sports there is no such thing as 1 best all around lens. It takes at least 2 lenses and that means 2 bodies also.

12. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    One lens to rule them all,
    And in the lightness bind them.