Is there an alternative to the Leica X-U?

muleonomics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking for a waterproof camera with an APS-C sensor or better. The only product I can find is the Leica X-U. I've never been impressed with Leica's price to value ratio. This $3000 camera seems like something you should be able to get for $1000 from any other reasonably priced brand.

I shoot on a Canon 5D MKiii and have all the best prime lenses.

For travel, when I am moving around I use a Fuji X70 which I love.

I am looking for something like my Fuji X70, but in a waterproof format for an upcoming trip to the jungle.

Opinions are welcome, even if you want to disagree with me. My goal is to find a waterproof camera with an APS-C sensor or better that does not carry the $3000 Leica price tag, which is absurd.

Olympus Tough TG-4? A great inexpensive camera i've grown to love and it'll take a beating. I shoot with mine regularly if i don't have a goal in mind. Can add lenses on to it as well.

Tough TG-4 | Olympus

Unless you are shooting underwater, I seriously think you don't need an underwater camera. Why do you think you need an underwater camera to shoot in jungles?

Most camera manufacturers design weatherproof cameras and lenses. Olympus is not an APS-C sized sensor.

I have used the disposable Rain Sleeves. I think they are sold as disposable, but I am still using the first one of two that come in the box after three years and a lot of trips into rain forests.

1) I was using a wrist strap, a long strap will be partially out of the cover and it will not dry out any time soon with the high humidity.
2) Have a small towel to dry your hand (from sweat and rain and mud) and another to wipe off the viewfinder and front lens. I use a clear filter on the lens when I expect it to keep getting wet.
3) I just used plastic bags to put the camera in when not shooting, they are easier to clean than a camera bag and things are going to get dirty.
4) Check the season you plan to be there, usually there is a wet (winter) and dry (summer) season although it can rain at any time.
5) I used a large memory card to not have to try and change one out while in the rain, but as long as you have room to get through half a day it should not be a problem.
6) Your not going to be using the rear screen in the rain with a sleeve so it helps if you don't need to dive into any menus or chimp.
7) Careful of jumping from a cool location with the camera as you can get some major condensation that will not just wipe away.
8) While I don't have one, a super-zoom lens is something I wish I had a couple times when I just didn't want to change lenses out in the rain.
9) Light can be very low under the canopy so expect to raise the ISO. It is also easy to overexpose, it might be from all the greens.
10) For tree and sky it is best very early in the morning. Sunrise and sunset pass very quickly so your Golden Hour is like Golden seconds.

A full day out in the rain and no problems, Ok maybe wet and tired...
[url=https://flic.kr/p/dyte2y]David_Bunn_20120220_DRB0149_Tena[/URL]

Thank Dave! I will check into the rain sleeves. Great shot with the poncho and huge leaf btw.

I own the Olympus Stylus TG-830m, and I am seriously not impressed. Sensor too small. IQ not that great as a result.

Do you think the TG-4 is better?

My Fuji X70 is a great travel camera. It's just too "pretty and delicate" to take to a jungle, IMO.

If I don't find anything, maybe I will get the Rain Sleeves like Dave suggested. Thanks again BTW for the detailed advice. I read it all thoroughly and it is much appreciated.

Are you looking to make some money off of the photos or just document the trip?

There's absolutely no money in this for me. This is just purely to document the trip. I prefer to make photo books after my trips for my wife and we really enjoy high quality outcomes. So getting a camera with good IQ is important.

Understandable. Look at reviews for the waterproof point and shoots and see if you're happy with sample images. I have the tg-820 and I'm happy with what it produces for Internet sharing. And it's in a small enough package where you can enjoy the outing author wishing you didn't have to lug it around.

I've tested a lot of cameras, and I've never been impressed with any sensor smaller than an APS-C.

For example, a lot of people rave about the Sony RX100 IV. I tested this and thought it was a piece of junk when it came to IQ. I hate to say it, but that camera seems to be hyped up by novice consumers who have no experience with anything better. You might as well have any recently made Smartphone like the iPhone 6 instead of the RX100. That's just an example of where I am coming from.

I'm not a purist or a snob though. I love my Fuji x70. I lot of pro's and higher end people snub it for not having a viewfinder, but I do just fine framing my shots with the LCD screen. No zoom lens either, but I think this is another bill of goods sold primarily to novice consumers.

At this point, I don't think there are any rugged/waterproof cameras with an APS-C sized or greater sensor. Looks like Leica beat every other company to the punch. I guess they will be getting my $3000, even though this camera ought to be priced at $1000 if sold by any other company. The Leica brand seems to be like paying Rolex prices for prestige and style when all you really want is a rugged reliable Casio G-Shock. I am totally fine with the Casio. I desire a camera as a tool, not a fashion accessory or status symbol...

I've had shots at ISO 1600 and still had to drop to 1/40 sec at f/4 under the tree canopy during the day. It helps to have a camera that can go higher with ISO.

Even with a rain sleeve the body is going to be very damp, most semi-pro bodies should handle that with no problem. A camera that you can control in manual exposure and not have to look at what you are doing will also help. The rain sleeve will be wet on the outside and also on the inside (stray water and sweat condensation) so it is hard to see any of the LCD screens and sometimes even the viewfinder.

As you shoot Canon I would look at a 7D MkII, probably used, for such a trip.

Good advice. I actually have a 7d sitting around that I never use. Maybe I will just bring that.

Most reactions

Back