Is there an easier way to get this effect?

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm trying to get the effect as in the photo below, but was wondering if there is an easier or more appropiate way to achieve it. I'll start right off and apologize for the model - self portrait. However, I do have a few friends that I would like to showcase this technique with.

I had to turn all the lights off and having a single strobe about 8 feet away at head height on the right and about 1-2 feet in front. I fashioned some cardboard 6 inches long around the end of the strobe ( a snoot?). I think the flash compensation was at -2.7.

The delima is that having all the lights off - in total darkness - may not be practical (or agreeable) for other people and locations. Any suggestions?

DSC_1081_edited-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks

No picture?

I don't think the image showed the first time....how about this?

DSC_1081_edited-1.jpg

You don't need to have the lights off. Just make sure your strobe power forces your exposure to black out the ambient light.

Just use a single source off to the right (your models left). Ya might want to turn your model a bit more to include the other eye and a hint of the cheek.

Your shutter speeds will be so quick (1/125th or higher) that any ambient light will probably not record on the sensor/film anyway so you don't need to have the lights out.

Try taking an image at the settings you used for this image but without the flash of the strobe (only the ambient light of a small bulb). I'd guess the frame will just be black - indicating that the ambient light is not being recorded.

Just use a single source off to the right (your models left). Ya might want to turn your model a bit more to include the other eye and a hint of the cheek.

The ambient light with fast shutter speed thing works. I had "the model" turn slightly. C&C of the exposure...forget "the model", he's useless...but available.

DSC_1166_edited-1.jpg

Nice! Now print it on a higher contrast paper or higher contrast VC filter in your enlarger adn you have a very nice shot.

Oh try to keep the catch light in the other eye as he looks at you.

Might want to try raising the light a little, so the shadow of the nose points down a little more. Then again, you might not. ;)

If you want the model looking at the camera, move the light toward the camera, so it isn't directly to the side of the model.

And yeah, catchlights are good.

Lighting is great fun. :D

Can you explain what is meant by "a catchlight"?

A catch light is a specular highlight in the subject's eye from a light source. A catch light may be the result of the lighting method, or purposely engineered to add a glint or "spark" to the eyes. Adding a catch light can help draw attention to the subject's eyes, which may otherwise get lost among other elements in the scene.

For this type of mood, try having the flash on a line described by the tear-duct and the bottom of the eyebrow (around 15 degrees). So the you get the severe lighting and yet are not burdened by unnatural shapes on the face.

I will try to entice "the model" tomorrow for another session with (dare I say it) ya'lls suggestion. Unfortunately, tonight he has decided it better to sip on tequila. Thanks for all the help, seriously.

Catchlight in he eyes can also give them some detail by illuminating the rim of the iris whithin. It gives them depth.

Most reactions

Back