IS THERE ANY DRAG RACING PHOTOGRAPHERS ON HERE?????

I'll give you one tip, and it'll be applicable in all realms of photography.

If you don't like how the shot came out, take it again differently. The best way to learn is by screwing up.

As others have said, panning is important in motorsports photography. No one is going to be able to tell you what shutter speed to use, because it depends on the speed of the car. At Laguna Seca I shot everything from Le Mans Ferrari's to a Prius. Obviously, there was a difference in speed, and therefore, a difference in shutter speeds was needed to get the same panning/motion shot.

thanks and u use a A700 how r those??

thanks big bully so how long have you been shooting 4???

I have been shooting truck and tractor pulls for 6 years. They are a lot of fun and there are so many ways to get creative with them especially with panning.

thts cool do u travel with any of the associations???

Yes, there are two pulling organizations in Idaho and Utah that we are members of. So just about every weekend during the summer, I am found next to a truck and tractor pull track taking pictures.

Go find a nice shady spot at your local park or on your front grass, with an unobstructed view of either a footpath or traffic.

You have cars, bike riders, motorcycles, people jogging, dogs running around, etc.There is an unlimited amount of practice potential to perfect a freeze and motion pan. try different shutter speeds to see different effects on similar subjects.

Once you get a comfort level in technique, take what you have practised to the drag strip and put that in place. View this previous thread that we helped another member with similar questions.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photojournalism-sports-gallery/160809-motocross-test-photo.html

When im not busy wrenching in the pit's I like to shoot both drag racing and pulling mainly diesel as well.

All I can recommend is get some good glass and be smooth panning it will come to you.

Zach

When im not busy wrenching in the pit's I like to shoot both drag racing and pulling mainly diesel as well.

All I can recommend is get some good glass and be smooth panning it will come to you.

Zach

I shoot the diesel trucks as well! Nice to see a fellow diesel junkie! :lol:

Here are a few Shots right off the camera

afda7c88eafeb965e27df8185f96eee15g.jpg

5812dc49ae34dc6addaced09b12feaea6g.jpg

7e0080910e52ab6ea1ca12a9fc9971586g.jpg

612bd3f2e21782e73c4e0d3c967f52b46g.jpg

4f0fb04a5de7036de930281a0efc89de6g.jpg

imageview.php
imageview.php

Here a few I shot at Maple Grove. Panning is your friend, but getting your shutter slow enough during the bright, mid-day sun can be a bit tricky at first. Toyo Nationals are coming up in August, and I can't wait to use some of my new toys this year!

magrove-47.jpg

magrove-33.jpg

dragsters-1.jpg

magrove-46.jpg

Good Shots,,, I wanted to mess around with the shutter but anymore at events I don't have time to. The guys that I help run 2 pro-stock trucks.

I don't shoot drag racing but I do shoot action sports photos. I ride BMX and got really into photography and it went from there. Basically the best thing to do is REALLY get to know your camera well so that you can tell exactly when to hit the shutter-release button for the best picture possible.

Most reactions

Back