Is there ONE versatile wide-angle (FX) for Landscape AND Street photography?

bir_cfc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I like to travel relatively light on most trips. I just moved from the D7000 to D610 and my only wide-angle was a DX lens so I'm in a little trouble now.

My old travel kit with the D7000 was a 10-20mm, 35mm 1.8G and a 85mm 1.4G.

Now with the D610, I'll keep the 85mm 1.4G obv, but I need a replacement for the other two. Can I get away with one lens for both street photography (walk-around) and occasional landscape use?

If I really can get away with one, here are my options:

1. Nikon 18-35mm G ($750) - not fast enough for street?

2. Nikon 28mm 1.8G ($600) - not wide enough for landscape?

3. Nikon 20mm 1.8G ($800) - too wide for street?

Firstly, I need help figuring out if I can even get away with just having one lens. Secondly, which one should I pick and are there better options than the ones I listed?

P.S. Don't recommend 16-35mm, I've already decided the 18-35mm is a better option (lighter, and less distortion).

Why the need for speed? If f/0.1 isn't a prerequisite, I'd suggest the old 28-200 AF-D aka The Streetsweeper.

Not interested in the 50mm f/1.8?

That would seem to be the likeliest contender for street photography and it's just about wide enough for landscapes, but if not quite wide enough, you could always rattle off a two-shot panorama.

It's fast, it's sharp, there isn't much distortion to write home about, and it's cheap, so if it gets damaged on your travels you can just go out and pick up a new one.

Why the need for speed? If f/0.1 isn't a prerequisite, I'd suggest the old 28-200 AF-D aka The Streetsweeper.

Well walking around I won't have a tripod set up everywhere, also means I'll be going inside buildings etc. so I'll need fast shutter speeds. Hence, why something faster may be preferable. Not mandatory though, hence why I did note the 18-35mm as an option. I guess, this does mean 1 vote for 18-35mm over the others. Thanks.

Not interested in the 50mm f/1.8?

That would seem to be the likeliest contender for street photography and it's just about wide enough for landscapes, but if not quite wide enough, you could always rattle off a two-shot panorama.

It's fast, it's sharp, there isn't much distortion to write home about, and it's cheap, so if it gets damaged on your travels you can just go out and pick up a new one.

50mm is too tight imo for landscape.

The first image of the building was a 3-frame stitch. That's simply due to the fact that my back was to the river and I don't like swimming in icy water.

Otherwise, it's a great all-around lens. It's the one I grab when I'm limited to ONE lens and ONE lens only. You get a lot of the 'traditional' FLs.... 28, 35, 50, 80, 100, 135, 180 and 200.

If this piques your interest, you may want to look at the newer 28-300 G lens.

Most reactions

Back